Morphic Mink

Evil Josef

First Post
Hi, folks! More monster spam from me! This is the last of the batch I mixed up this weekend, and I saved it for last because it didn't have much of a niche to fit into. It's sort of a silly little low-level critter, but for some reason, I couldn't just *not* do it. So I present...

Morphic Mink
Tiny Shapechanger
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 size)
Attacks: Bite +4 melee
Damage: Bite 1d3-2
Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft. by 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Qualities: Morph
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 11
Skills: Appraise +6, Bluff +4, Hide +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Pick Pocket +8, Sense Motive +7, Spot +6
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finese (bite)

Climate/Terrain: Any temperate land or underground
Organization:Solitary, gang (2-5), or squad (5-20)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment:Often chaotic good
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Tiny)

Though they aren't true mustelids, morphic minks share their particular love of sneakiness and mischief. They are fun loving, easy-going creatures that reward those creatures which treat them with kindness - usually with the valuables of those that are cruel to them. Despite their child-like behavoir, however, they are quite intelligence and possessed of a clear wisdom free of the taint of civilization. They take great delight in assuming the forms of many small animals and interacting with all manner of humanoids to test their good will and generosity. Those who are especially mean are treated to the other uses of the morphic mink's abilites, for these adorable little creatures double as fantastic thieves.

In its natural form, the morphic mink is a small quadroped that appears to be - of course - a mink, though the color of its fur ranges between many bizarre, seemingly random colors, including purple, green, pink, and orange. Though they prefer to go on all fours, they are just as capable of moving on their hind-legs, leaving their forepaws free to cart off the treasures of the cruel and greedy.

COMBAT

A morphic mink never fights, except perhaps to hunt small prey in times of desperate need. Instead, they usually choose to flee, assuming any flying, climbing, or swimming form they need to effect their escape.

Morph (Su): At will, a morphic mink can assume the shape of any non-magical animal of Diminutive to Small size, as per the spell polymorph self, except that the mink can maintain the assumed form indefinitely. It can choose a new form or resume its own as a standard action.

* I was also thinking that morphic minks might make good familiars for higher level wizards, but wasn't sure what level the wizard would have to be to attract a morphic mink as a familiar. Any helpful suggestions?

Last edited:

Frog Slime

First Post
Well, first of all, the saves are all off. A shapechanger's saves are all good, meaning that the base save for Reflex Will, and Fortitude for a shapechanger with one hit dice is +2, not +1.

And as for a familiar, I would assume the wizard would have to be at least seventh level, the level required to have an Imp or a Pseudodragon as one's familiar, with the right feat.

Evil Josef

First Post
There you are, O Slimey One. Saves all better!

And that's what I was thinking, as well, only I didn't figure the mink was really all that powerful as a imp or a pseudodragon, but with the healthy compliment of skills, I suppose the little fella makes up for it.

Remove ads