D&D 5E Most fun of these three Monk Subclasses?

Is Mobile still that effective with Drunken Technique already in the bag?
There is some overlap, but Drunken Tech requires you to spend a ki point, whereas Mobile requires you to make an attack. Hypothetically you might spend a ki without attacking. The extra speed is always good for hitting and running though.

You might get more mileage from Defensive Duelist, especially once you get redirect attack.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
There is some overlap, but Drunken Tech requires you to spend a ki point, whereas Mobile requires you to make an attack. Hypothetically you might spend a ki without attacking. The extra speed is always good for hitting and running though.

You might get more mileage from Defensive Duelist, especially once you get redirect attack.
Unfortunately, after looking closer, both take your reaction. Nice thought though.

I might move away from mechanics and add more flavour. Changeling seems interesting and gives me more outside combat options.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Your UnDrunken Master could be a dancer (or similar) very agile runabout. Ballet might be asking too much but a highschool Color Guard (or Band) performance comes to mind.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Looking at the combat playstyle, I am a little intrigued

Drunken Technique suggests hit and run away
But
Tipsy Sway suggests hit and stay put

Oh well. I guess that gives me an option either way unless there is a tactic/combo I am not seeing here?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The biggest thing, particularly with three monks in one party, is Stunning Strikes. Between the three of us, if we burn through the ki, we can stun just about anything every round. Makes BBEG fights really easy, for better or worse. shrug

I ran a Yoon-Suin campaign with 2 monks and ... yeah, the stunning is crazy.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer

But

Oh well. I guess that gives me an option either way unless there is a tactic/combo I am not seeing here?
Drunken Technique past the bodyguard, Tipsy Sway upon arrival next to his boss.

Playing a drunken master in my game now. There is definitely some tension in managing whether you're staying in or getting out.

Redirect attack is maybe one of the most entertaining things you can do as a monk....but, IME, there are some significant issues with it from a mechanical perspective.

First is availability. You have to put yourself in a position where multiple creatures can be in melee with you. When you're riding a d8 hit die and middling AC, this positioning is quite risky. And...once you're in that position, someone has to attack you, and to miss. Not enough targets..no good, no attacks on you.. no good, no misses..no good. Basically, it just comes up less often than you'd think it would.

Second is the cost benefit. Ki and your reaction. It's a competing ki cost with flurry of blows, patient defense, and stunning strike. And it's benefit is limited to the creatures that attack you and miss. Sometimes, it might be the giant with the +14 that his like a truck that misses, but way more often I've found it's the cannon fodder rolling d6+2 (or something) damage that whiff on their attacks.

All this would be in comparison to open hand monk's stuff which is available as long as you have ki and pretty much works exactly as you intend it to work exactly when you want to use it.

Drunken Master let's you get into (and mostly out of) greater shenanigans. Open hand is more mechanically consistent.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

But

In general, combat will force you to do multiple things, at different times, if your DM isn't asleep.

Beyond that, I usually stay in the melee, but use disengage to put myself in better positions of advantage. My group also uses flanking, though.

Other times, I get out of the mob, only to be pursued by multiple enemies afterward.

But

Drunken Technique can help you position yourself to use Drunken Technique, but the biggest issue for DT is you need the attack to miss, which is hard to guarantee with a modest monk AC of around 17 at level 6. As such, I would revise my suggestion for vuman to the Lucky feat.

Although picking up Goading Strike with Martial Adept could also be thematic and fun.

Also, make friends with a cleric and get them to cast shield of faith on you.

Another race suggestion: Tabaxi.

Remove ads