Most mispronounced monster names

Deadguy

First Post
Agamon said:
Okay, so should 'coup de grace' be pronounced 'kew deh graws' or 'kew deh graw'? Between that and the bullette, I've been fighting with other gamers I know over pronunciation of French terms in D&D. So far I've been overruled by an ignorant TSR staffer for bulette...
Always as in 'grass', not 'grah'. Otherwise you are saying you are making a 'fat blow', which hardly sounds elegant! ;)

Zander

Explorer
Agamon said:
Okay, so should 'coup de grace' be pronounced 'kew deh graws' or 'kew deh graw'?
I once uploaded a sound file to the boards with the proper pronunciation. If some kind person can perform a search they should be able to link to it.

glass

(he, him)
Thotas said:
Hey, I know this was a page back but ... Sniffles, I thought the "onion bulbs" were called minarets, too. (Quick research proves that to be cupola, after all.) I'm also noticing some geographic proximity ... perhaps a case of regional miseducation? Any non-Oregonians with that misconception?

Yep, me.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
In Warhammer, lich is spelt liche (or at least, it used to be), so I pronounced it as 'leesh'. It wasn't until I discovered D&D that I switched to the correct pronunciation.

glass.

Agamon

Adventurer
Deadguy said:
Always as in 'grass', not 'grah'. Otherwise you are saying you are making a 'fat blow', which hardly sounds elegant! ;)

Thank you. Sheesh, and we're supposed to bilingual over here...even my buddy born in Quebec looks at me funny when I pronounce it right.

Deadguy

First Post
Agamon said:
Thank you. Sheesh, and we're supposed to bilingual over here...even my buddy born in Quebec looks at me funny when I pronounce it right.
The pronunciation 'koo duh grah' seems to have entered common parlance so much so that I've heard it used on TV before now. Time will tell whether or not it eventually comes to displace the 'correct' pronunciation. In teh mean time though I am going to correct people every time they say it wrong! ;)

Tolen Mar

First Post
Tolen Mar said:
...the only place I know of Que making the q sound is...well...Queue!

davidschwartznz said:
PS The Tarasque went to a barbeque in Albuquerque.

Sigh...There goes that theory...

But in my defense I dont normally write it like that...Bar-B-cue or BBQ work just fine for the few rare occasions I need that word.

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
Thotas said:
Hey, I know this was a page back but ... Sniffles, I thought the "onion bulbs" were called minarets, too. (Quick research proves that to be cupola, after all.) I'm also noticing some geographic proximity ... perhaps a case of regional miseducation? Any non-Oregonians with that misconception?

I mispronounced Oregon when I moved here from Texas. Boy did I get disabused of that error quickly! Now I cringe when national newscasters say "Or-ee-gone". :D

@Zenodotus - that's pronounced "throat-wobbler mangrove", I tell you! :lol:

Tamlyn

Explorer
glass said:
That would be a barbecue.

And IIRC, Albaquerque doesn't have a queue sound at the end either, does it?

glass.

That would be Al-buh-kir-kee.

How many have heard Mage pronounced Mazh, like collage? I game with a guy who keeps casting Mazh Armor.

Remove ads