• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most mispronounced monster names

Diremede

First Post
At one point in time I decided to play a session with some folks I had seen around the game shop for the past 3 years. When I arrived for the game I was suprised and awestruck as I heard quite possibly the worst interpretation of a word in D&D to date. The quote " Ya I really like my dwarven BATTLERAGGER, he is loads of fun, especially when he rages."

WTF!?! :confused:

I was completely confused as to how one could pronounce the name of a class wrong when the player could correctly pronounce the primary ability of that class. I assumed from that point on that the player would pull out misc. pieces of cloth to strike out at its foes.

Zander

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
And "Umlaut" is the German name for it. I guess the English language adopted the name, never needing the term for itself...
In English it's called a diaeresis or dieresis. English does use it in borrowed words like Noël, names such as Brontë and in poetry.

But I forgive you for not knowing that as I'm guessing that your first language is German. ;)

Last edited:

Thotas

First Post
Hey, I know this was a page back but ... Sniffles, I thought the "onion bulbs" were called minarets, too. (Quick research proves that to be cupola, after all.) I'm also noticing some geographic proximity ... perhaps a case of regional miseducation? Any non-Oregonians with that misconception?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
rycanada said:
How many of you pronounce Chitin as it's spelled? Can't break myself of that one.

I have a same problem with lichen. It looks like lich-in to me and not like-in.

Raging Epistaxis

First Post
And, since I haven't seen anyone else post it yet (and because I just had to look it up myself)...

a minaret is the tower near/on a mosque from which the faithful are called to prayer.

http://i-cias.com/cgi-bin/eo-direct.pl?minaret.htm

The most egregious mispronunciation I've had inflicted on my ear is puh-LAY-din for paladin (PAL-a-din). It took several repeats and a 'use that in a sentence' before I knew what the heck they were talking about.

Tear-askew would be worse, if I had ever heard it. :D

R E

Stormrunner

Explorer
I've heard "lich" pronounced "leek", like the vegetable. ("Hans, run! It's an undead onion!") I've always pronounced it to rhyme with "which".

a C in Greek words is always a K sound, AFAIK, so "KIM-er-uh" not "SHIM-er-uh", "HERK-you-lees" not "her-SOOLS" (thankfully the Disney movie seems to have squelched that one), "kat-OB-leh-pus", etc.

Of course, in Greek "centaur" is "KEN-tarr" but in English everyone says "SEN-tarr". Sometimes you can't win.
:)

edit: I've never heard "puh-LAY-din", but I've heard "puh-LODDIN" a lot. Since the word is derived from Arabic, shouldn't it be "paw-luh-DEEN"? Oh well.

Last edited:

ericlboyd

Explorer
Guide to prouncing "drow": "Drow" rhymes with "bow" as "bow and arrow" or "bow down before the king."

--Eric ;-)

PS This joke works better in print.

Remove ads