• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most versatile single class

hong

WotC's bitch
Monks are pretty versatile too. In a group situation they may tend to play second fiddle a lot, but if they're by themselves that's no longer a problem.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Thanee said:
Yep. Basically the rogue has only one or two options to get past a challenge, while the druid has half a dozen.
It's been my experience that a Rogue's skill points and excellent skill list alone should add a good three or four extra options . But perhaps my experience is atypical.

Psions are pretty dang versatile.

They're a little underpowered hitpoint wise, but they've got about as many personal buffs as a cleric, close to as nice an offensive capability as a wizard, and nice groups of flavored powers.

Psionic warriors are probably more so.

Thanee

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
It's been my experience that a Rogue's skill points and excellent skill list alone should add a good three or four extra options . But perhaps my experience is atypical.

Well, it's not like those "options" were meant to be finite. ;)

It was more of a metaphor, really.

A rogue surely has more than a couple options, but a druid just has so many more.

Bye
Thanee

Felix

Explorer
Hey two:

Re-read my post. Try to find one word about me saying the druid not being able to do that stuff.

You won't find it because it's not in there. "Cleric" is the word I used. On purpose, too. ;)

And neither was I saying the druid couldn't, rather saying that the rogue's versatility in being able to overcome different challenges was by bringing to the table a different set of abilities that would often lead to a wildly different solution than you would have with other straight-forward classes. Meaning that I was not denegrating other classes versatility, but instead that a rogue shouldn't be ignored because it can't melee. A big distinction there.

two said:
Gah. So wrong. Where to begin.
You can begin again, I guess.
:)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Thanee said:
A rogue surely has more than a couple options, but a druid just has so many more.
This hasn't been my experience. A druid has many more options in combat than the rogue, absolutely. But when it comes to overall options, the druid's come down to combat or stealth. The druid can't misdirect like the wizard can. He can't blackmail like the cleric (with excellent divination spells) or rogue (with an excellent Gather Info score). He can't dominate like a sorcerer or psion. He can't falsify documents. He can't schmooze the guards and even get them to help him. He can't impersonate a noble and steal the show dancing with the belle of the ball, then wander into the back room and steal the widget from the safe. etc.

It's been my experience that in combat the druid can do it all, and do it all well. But if we're talking general solutions to a set objective, the most versatile classes are the rogue, bard, wizard and cleric.

Thanee

First Post
You said:

Felix said:
So, I think the Rogue is the most versatile class ...

(... as long as the rogue is being played smart, basically, but that is a given for every class, I guess.)

This automatically leads to the conclusion, that the well-played rogue is more versatile than the well-played druid, for example.

Bye
Thanee

Bauglir

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
This hasn't been my experience. A druid has many more options in combat than the rogue, absolutely. But when it comes to overall options, the druid's come down to combat or stealth. The druid can't misdirect like the wizard can. He can't blackmail like the cleric (with excellent divination spells) or rogue (with an excellent Gather Info score). He can't dominate like a sorcerer or psion. He can't falsify documents. He can't schmooze the guards and even get them to help him. He can't impersonate a noble and steal the show dancing with the belle of the ball, then wander into the back room and steal the widget from the safe. etc.

It's been my experience that in combat the druid can do it all, and do it all well. But if we're talking general solutions to a set objective, the most versatile classes are the rogue, bard, wizard and cleric.

Seconded. I agree that the rogue probably cannot blast his way through a problem, but he can do many other things that might get the job done, thanks to his wide range of skills. That to me says more about versitility than combat ability.

Thanee

First Post
Why do you, just because most players play them that way as it seems, automatically direct all of the druids potential to combat abilities!?

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads