• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most versatile single class

Thanee

First Post
I'm not so sure about that. Arcane magic can do a lot of things, divine magic cannot do, which does cover a bit of the ground left by the much more advantageous "other abilities" of clerics and druids.

So, I think wizards are pretty close at least.

Bards, rangers and rogues would be the next in line together with the sorcerer, I think.

Bye
Thanee

Numion

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
The cleric also has one combat Achille's Heel: grappling.

3.5E SRD said:
This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

A pretty good spell with 10 min / level duration.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
This is odd. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rogue. With the right magical items at the Rogue's disposal (emulating ability to wield any wands, staffs, scrolls, etc.), their skills, and sneak attacking combat ability, means all the bases are well covered, and can perform repeatedly without need of rest or recuperation. Though the Rogue is hardly a brute-catch all like the Druid or Cleric can be, but with a player with a mind for finesse and thinking-game, nothing surpasses the Rogue.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
1. Druid
2. Artificer (Eberron CS)
3. Cleric
4. Rogue
5. Wizard

Druids can sneak (wild shape), fight (wild shape), blast (spells), heal (spells), summon (spells) and have decent skills.

Artificers have good skills and the ability to emulate both wizard and cleric spellcasting effectively, plus they can find traps.

Clerics are similar to druids, except that they must use spells for everythng.

Rogues are, IMO, more versatile than wizards because of UMD.

Wizards are close, though, courtesy of their spells.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Numion said:
A pretty good spell with 10 min / level duration.

That is a very good countermeasure if you have had a chance to cast it.

The Druid OTOH does not really care if something grapples him, AND he is darn hard to surprise with both good skills and an animal companion who has Scent.

As I said before, the Cleric is more powerful overall -- principally because he spells that cover most weaknesses pretty darn well. In terms of versatility, I rate the Cleric lower than a class that has no weaknesses and comparable strengths.

As for the Rogue, I did consider that class. I can see it might well work for solo adventuring. But I would call the Rogue "flexible" but not necessarily as "versatile". It is the difference between ability to achieve a long term goal (where the Rogue measures up just fine), and ability to perform a specifc assigned task.

In team D&D play you sometimes flat out need someone to stand there and get carved by the big monster for a round or two. The Druid can sacrifice his animal companion, summon critters, or wildshape and wade in himself. The Cleric can summon, or buff up and wade in. The Rogue just dies (or worse: the monster walks right by the Rogue).

Last edited:

argo

First Post
I guess I must have a different concept of "versatile" than everyone else bucause my vote is a tossup between ranger (wilderness oriented) and bard (social oriented). Neither is super powerful but if I was going to play in a solo-campagin where I was expected to do everything myself I would pick one of those. Thats my concept of "versatile".

Felix

Explorer
I agree with argo that the meaning of versatile is being able to survive a solo adventure well, although I differ with him on his class choices. I must say that the Rogue can survive pretty much anything you throw at him, one way or another. He doesn't rely on magic heavily, and would be more able to be subtle about his missions in a way that the cleric couldn't, and the druid and wizard would have a hard time doing.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
If you are thinking in terms solo adventuring, yes, the Ranger, Bard, and Rogue look pretty attractive. And they are extremely good for a few things. I was thinking in terms of what the original poster wrote -- he mentioned bringing a little of everything to the table.

BTW, with decent skill points, Diplomacy as a class skill, and the potential to be extremely dangerous while "unarmed", the Druid rates very well in a campaign weighted towards socializing and political intrigue. Not in the same weight class as the Bard or Rogue, but easily in same league as the Paladin, and heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack. I think there is a lot of potential for animal spies/acquaintances if you get creative.

Remove ads