D&D 5E Mounted Combat: Pushing the Rider

So the rules cover two cases: Pushing the mount and knocking the rider prone. Why do they not cover the "push the rider off the mount" case? If that doesn't yield a saving throw as well, what's the point, as you can always just target the rider instead of the mount to get around the saving throw?

Bonus question: If there are multiple hits, the falling happens before the next hit, right?

Because the rules aren't designed to cover every possible situation - the DM is supposed to handle anything not specifically covered by the rules. Personally, I would allow the rider a "Handle Animal" skill check to avoid being pushed off a mount. I would also take the size of the pusher into account - a halfing would not be tall enough to push someone off a full sized horse.

Assuming the rider was pushed off the mount, I would resolve that before any additional attacks, yes.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If an effect moves your mount against its will while you’re on it, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the mount, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If you’re knocked prone while mounted, you must make the same saving throw.

Id think that in order to knock you prone an attacker has the choice of either pulling or pushing you off the horse (you land within 5 feet)

pulling someone off a horse and holding on to them would be a grapple

Another situation (preferable for a halfing rogue) would be slashing the girth and tipping the rider off. I would probably do an attack roll to cut the girth, followed by an opposed check - Athletics vs Handle Animal.

An attack can target either the mount, or the rider (unless the rider has the mounted combatant feat, in which case he can force attacks against the mount to target him)

So you can push the rider of the mount just fine with the Shove action. You can choose to Shove the mount, or the rider.

If an effect moves your mount against its will while you’re on it, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the mount, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If you’re knocked prone while mounted, you must make the same saving throw.

Id think that in order to knock you prone an attacker has the choice of either pulling or pushing you off the horse (you land within 5 feet)

pulling someone off a horse and holding on to them would be a grapple
Yeah I guess I will argue like that. Pushing a rider is the same as knocking prone so the Dexterity Saving Throw applies here.

In this scenario it's a flying mount where the rider is hit with Eldritch Blast + Repelling Blast by the way.

Remove ads