D&D 5E Moving ASI; Moving HP, Moving Alignment, & Moving Move Speed

I am glad my point is taken. The changes above are as nonsensical as moving ASI's. But for some reason, moving ASI's to other things, and not moving hit points or speed is acceptable. It is illogical to believe that if you can change one parameter of a game that is adjustable, that changing others is silly or not allowable.
In a game, there are a handful of things that are adjustable. Where they lie in the mechanics is also adjustable. In D&D there are: HP, move speed, AC, attributes, and proficiency. Those are it. Everything else ties into those. That is what you can change. So to change one is an earthquake of a shift. So again, to sit there and discuss moving or changing ASI's is just as silly as discussing any of the above changes.
The point is, D&D is fluid, but it is fluid molten steel. It has set over the years. To change it will take extreme temperatures, and the fluidity might reshape itself into a prong when what we needed was a hammer. We may find new uses for the prong, but that would come through a lot of play testing. And odds are, many people would still want the hammer.

Li Shenron

Legend
  • We move ASI's to a mixture of race, class and background
  • We move HP to race
  • We move alignment to background
  • We move move speed to class

Moving HP to race is interesting, although I think the range will diminish even more, from the current d6-d12 to maybe d8-d12, otherwise a race with d6 will seriously start to feel inappropriate for martial classes, considering the 16 cap to CON.

The ASI mechanism doesn't work very well. You obviously put 16 in the 2 best scores, then the 3 extra points will be worth a net +1, so basically either fuel a 3rd ability or work towards removing the penalties. I think the apparent flexibility ends up instead reducing variety.

Small speed modifiers I think are a bit overrated and fiddly, and I would rather have everyone with speed 30.

Alignment-based backgrounds are not for my tastes but it's an original idea.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I am glad my point is taken.
LOL! :D

There is a huge difference. Those suggestions you offer don't have any measure of wide support. Removing ASIs from race do.

It is illogical to believe that if you can change one parameter of a game that is adjustable, that changing others is silly or not allowable.

No, it is illogical to suggest an array of adjustments which won't be well received. Which is why more people responded in a manner sarcastic or mocking in tone to your OP.

Changing racial ASIs is well received as the other thread points out. The problem there lies, however, that none of the solutions proposed so far don't create issues of their own to one person or another. That is why you don't see an overwhelming consensus in any of the options for moving the ASIs, but over all the desire for change is there.

Last edited:

Remove ads