D&D 5E Multi-Class Alternative Using Sub-Classes

Wulffolk

Explorer
In the case of Wizard/Cleric you have the full number of spell slots that a regular Wizard would have at that level. With the Cleric subclass you would be a to use a number of slots from the Cleric spell list equal to a 1/3rd caster. You can choose to use all your slots for Wizard, or allocate a portion of them for Cleric spells up to the number available for a 1/3rd caster.

It has been so long since I participated in an online forum like this that I forgot that it is almost mandatory to spell everything out precisely. I am not really looking to debate with people that don't like the idea. I am more interested in constructive criticism, or suggestions on how to make it work better. I already know that it is not perfect. I already know that it does not create exciting original sub-classes with awesome new mechanics. The intent was to provide an option for achieving a multi-class feeling without needing to take level dips in other classes. If you prefer the current 5e multi-class system then by all mean please keep using it. The option I am presenting just isn't for you.

As for the bloat that you are worried about, there is less to worry about than you think. In my opinion there is no need to create X/Barbarians because it is a class you should start as, not learn later. There is no need to create Cleric/X because the Domains already cover most possibilities. There is no need to create any sub-classes for Paladin/X or X/Paladin because they should be dedicated to their Oath. Sorcerer/X and Warlock/X are not viable because they need their Origin or Patron. And in my opinion there are certain multi-class combos that just don't make sense and should never happen.

Another option to explore would be handling multi-classing exactly like 2e did, by getting 1/2 XP in two different classes and having them both equal level, but a level or two behind the single-class characters in the party.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
In the case of Wizard/Cleric you have the full number of spell slots that a regular Wizard would have at that level. With the Cleric subclass you would be a to use a number of slots from the Cleric spell list equal to a 1/3rd caster. You can choose to use all your slots for Wizard, or allocate a portion of them for Cleric spells up to the number available for a 1/3rd caster.

It has been so long since I participated in an online forum like this that I forgot that it is almost mandatory to spell everything out precisely. I am not really looking to debate with people that don't like the idea. I am more interested in constructive criticism, or suggestions on how to make it work better. I already know that it is not perfect. I already know that it does not create exciting original sub-classes with awesome new mechanics. The intent was to provide an option for achieving a multi-class feeling without needing to take level dips in other classes. If you prefer the current 5e multi-class system then by all mean please keep using it. The option I am presenting just isn't for you.

As for the bloat that you are worried about, there is less to worry about than you think. In my opinion there is no need to create X/Barbarians because it is a class you should start as, not learn later. There is no need to create Cleric/X because the Domains already cover most possibilities. There is no need to create any sub-classes for Paladin/X or X/Paladin because they should be dedicated to their Oath. Sorcerer/X and Warlock/X are not viable because they need their Origin or Patron. And in my opinion there are certain multi-class combos that just don't make sense and should never happen.

Another option to explore would be handling multi-classing exactly like 2e did, by getting 1/2 XP in two different classes and having them both equal level, but a level or two behind the single-class characters in the party.

I would ask you to reconsider your stance about the sorcerer. The current edition makes a huge deal out of the origin, but before pathfinder many people were perfectly fine not knowing or caring about the source of the magic. You are a magic creature in human form, who cares which entry on the monster manual knocked up grandma? you are magic in the flesh. Origin as part of the sorcerer is good, but not vital, and it risks to consume too much of the individual sorcerer leaving no choices available to shape them leaving them victims of fate. Because unlike other classes being a sorcerer is not a choice, but a happenstance.

For example. Hey look I have magic, I better study it so I don't hurt someone. Or Hey I have magic, I guess I can use it to fullfill my dream of being rich by becoming a master thief. I've had a bad temper since I discovered I have magic, I sometimes go into a killer frenzy and stop being myself. Or I have magic, but I cannot save anybody, I will train my body and mind to save everybody

Last edited:

Wulffolk

Explorer
MoonSong, thanks for the feedback about Sorcerers. I suppose I considered those with Sorcerous powers to be one of two things: somebody focused on their gifts and thus exploring the origin of that gift (Sorcerer/Origin), and those that pursue other classes and dabble in their gifts to enhance or compliment their chosen class (X/Sorcerer). I am sure somebody could make a good case for a Sorcerer/X who's Origin plays almost no role and thus uses another class as a sub-class, but that would be a special case in my opinion. However, it would be a relatively simple thing to write up using the template from another class with similar level progression.

Last edited:

Remove ads