D&D 5E Multi-Multi-classing

delph

Explorer
I would not agree that Eldritch Smite is the equivalent of, or better than Paladin's Smite. The main problem with ES is you only have 2 pact slots (per short rest) and you can't use regular spell slots for it. You are also giving up ALL of your magic to do that twice which is a big ask for a primary caster. Spells like Fear and Psychic Lance can be game changers and even if you are only counting damage, spells like Spirit Shroud or Hex are going to actually do more total damage I think.

A Paladin also can Nova just as good because he can combine a bonus action smite spell with a smite so even though his slots are lower he can make up that damage by having more slots and being able to use them more effectively.
But you get them back every short rest, Paladin on long-rest... still equal for me.

ECMO3

Hero
But you get them back every short rest, Paladin on long-rest... still equal for me.

But that doesn't make up for it for two reasons. First that is still not many. Even with a full day with 2 short rests that is a total of 6 times you can smite .... or less than once per battle. A 6th level Paladin can smite 7 times regardless of the number of short rests. Yes they are for less damage per smite, but not a lot less and not a lot considering the amount of overall resources spent to do it.

If you multiclass it is even a bigger deal. On a day with 3 short rests a Paladin 6/Hexblade 1 can smite 10 times since he can use all his slots for smiting. a Hexblade 6/Paladin 1 can only smite 6 times. If you go to fewer short rests that gap widens by quite a bit. In a short day without any short rests a Paladin 6/Hexblade 1 can smite 8 times, a Hexblade 6/Paladin 1 can only smite twice.

delph

Explorer
But that doesn't make up for it for two reasons. First that is still not many. Even with a full day with 2 short rests that is a total of 6 times you can smite .... or less than once per battle. A 6th level Paladin can smite 7 times regardless of the number of short rests. Yes they are for less damage per smite, but not a lot less and not a lot considering the amount of overall resources spent to do it.

If you multiclass it is even a bigger deal. On a day with 3 short rests a Paladin 6/Hexblade 1 can smite 10 times since he can use all his slots for smiting. a Hexblade 6/Paladin 1 can only smite 6 times. If you go to fewer short rests that gap widens by quite a bit. In a short day without any short rests a Paladin 6/Hexblade 1 can smite 8 times, a Hexblade 6/Paladin 1 can only smite twice.
yes, when you are alone... but when you are in party where are more melee companions than ranged, then eldritch smite is bigger deal. Knock prone without save can game change much more than doing two smites more....

Remove ads