Multiclass Power Rules

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I really like how multiclassing works in 4e. If you meet the prerequisite(s), you typically get training in one of the class skills of the other class and can use one of the other class's features or at-will powers once per encounter or once per day. It also opens up access to powers as you gain levels, letting you dip into the second class a little more. One thing I do miss is the ability to dip into a third class. Although I never tried playing such a character, I have fond memories of thinking about how to make fighter/mage/thieves work. If you managed to survive, such a combination of classes would be truly amazing. So, if only for nostalgia's sake, my thoughts turned on how to bring this to 4e in some way.

Obviously, letting people take a second multiclass feat isn't the way to go. What's "broken" about it IMO is that it gives the player an extra encounter or daily power on top of the power gained from the first multiclass feat . However, because most of the powers granted by multiclass feats are encounter powers, I began thinking it might be possible to let PCs use just one of their multiclassing powers per encounter. This idea is similar to the cleric's or paladin's Channel Divinity ability, which allows PCs to use one among a few powers once per encounter. This multiclass variant could be "Channel Multiclass-ity." :)

What I like about it is that a PC could take more than one multiclass feat, but still have only one extra encounter power. For example, if a warlord PC took Warrior of the Wild and Soldier of Faith, he can use either Hunter's Quarry or Divine Challenge once per encounter. Once he uses one of those multiclass powers, he can't use any more powers granted by a multiclass feat for the rest of the encounter.

The only problem with this is that some multiclass feats (the cleric, warlord, and swordmage are the ones that immediately leap to mind) grant powers that can only be used once per day. Therefore, in order to make the scheme I'm describing work I need to change these daily abilities to encounter abilities. I've already changed the swordmage multiclass feat so that it grants one use of Swordmage Aegis per encounter, and I think it's balanced and works for me. The other two are more problematic ...

The cleric multiclass feat grants the use of Healing Word. I was thinking of changing this to using Healing Word once per encounter as a standard action. The warlord multiclass feat would be similar. The proposed changed isn't as good as the original class feature (which lets you use the power twice per encounter, each time as a minor action), but I'm concerned that it may be too much better than, say, a Paladin's Lay on Hands. In addition, I'm somewhat concerned that a cleric or warlord taking this multiclass feat will get a third encounter heal and be that much more badass of a healer.

Other than the changes to the powers, the multiclass system is basically the same. It grants a trained skill, maybe some other benefit, and an ability based on the one of the powers or features of the new class. The changes are that you could take more than one multiclass feat, the abilities granted are per encounter, and, if you have more than one multiclass feat, you can only use one of these abilities per encounter. I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts!

Remove ads