Level Up (A5E) Muscle sorcerer/wizard

Khitan

Explorer
Hi all!
I was going through the spell list and I saw a bunch of spells like flex, altered strike and stuff like that that made me seriously think about the possibility to create a "muscle sorcerer" or "muscle wizard". Let's break the fragile spellcaster stereotype!!
Unfortunately, for now, I don't have the time to dig deep and study hard to see if it's actually feasable, so I thouht I would come here and ask^^

Do you think it could be a viable build (aside from the concept, I'm talking machanically). The idea is either a sorc or a wiz that, aside from doing all the usual sorc/wiz stuff, when things get rough becomes a muscular and fit (and obviously shiny and oiled xD) dude who dives into melee and starts punching people.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Big problem I can see is racking up the HP. You could take a few levels of monk I guess.

When I started playing 5e I had the idea that I was going to be a barbarian who took 7 levels of wizard, so I could cast Fire Shield on myself and wade into battle. I then realized the spell only did 2d6 damage on a hit, instead of double the attacker's damage as in 1e/2e. Oops!

In 2e and 3.5 there was the awesome Tenser's Transformation, which turned the wizard into a relatively strong melee combatant for a while.
I'm still in the process of reading the manuals, but it might be fun to create a character around this idea :)

Stalker0

Legend
So I see two styles of this build: One at low levels, one at higher.

At low levels, we have the following:

1) Arcane Muscles: The default, the go to, gives you a reasonable unarmed strike.
2) False Life: Gives you some extra beef, basically the equivalent of a d8 hitdice (maybe even a d10 if you roll well and your very low level).
3) Some kind of armor (through various builds)
4) You can add in force punch if you really want to add to the damage, but frankly I think your burning through your slots too quickly at that point. To me this would be a backup if your taught without your muscles and don't want to spend the action to "buff up"

At higher levels, we now go "super saiyan" with Rage of the Meek. This is basically LU's answer to Tenser's Transformation, except its actually good, though it still does have a little material component. You can even use the spells previously, as long as you cast them before going into the Rage.

Remove ads