Musing on Star Wars themes in RPG

Yora

Legend
Yes, though they should also be able to turn the tide of battle and determine the outcome through thier actions and choices.
I think you're looking at my post still too much from the perspective of D&D-like games.

Apocalypse World (much more so than all other PtbA games I've seen) approaches scenes and conflict in a radically different way. All the things you pointed out are aspects already present in AW.
Though with it being a very unconventional game and this not being the topic here, I feel this is not the place for a full explanation of the system.

Yora

Legend
Lineage, or lack thereof, is an interesting idea.
And somewhat related there's destiny. Or, again, lack thereof.
I feel that the word "Destiny" in the Star Wars movies is used exclusively when the Emperor is gaslighting Vader and Luke to accept that they can't oppose his control over them. Destiny is always "because I say so".

Laurefindel

Legend
I feel that the word "Destiny" in the Star Wars movies is used exclusively when the Emperor is gaslighting Vader and Luke to accept that they can't oppose his control over them. Destiny is always "because I say so".
Ah, True!

And yet it makes it a concept of destiny that can be fought against and resisted, unlike the Greek mythological concept of destiny that is rigid and immutable. Narratively, at least in the context of players-oriented rpg, the former is a better tool IMO. I think a Star Wars rpg can reconcile « destiny » and « because I said so » in its mechanics. Destiny is meaningless until someone told you what it is. It may be a crappy litterature plot, but it works in a RPG.

Laurefindel

Legend
I think you're looking at my post still too much from the perspective of D&D-like games.

Apocalypse World (much more so than all other PtbA games I've seen) approaches scenes and conflict in a radically different way. All the things you pointed out are aspects already present in AW.
Though with it being a very unconventional game and this not being the topic here, I feel this is not the place for a full explanation of the system.
I’ve got to look into this system. It’s been a few times i see it mentioned and don’t know much about it. Do you know of particularly good resources I could check to get an overview?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

Hard disagree. The word itself may not be used in many contexts, but I think it's pretty clearly conveyed that both Luke and Anakin...and other characters...had/have destinies. It may not be a foregone conclusion which way (Light or Dark) those destinies leads, but it's definitely not "neither".

Reynard

Legend
While I agree that a more cinematic, narrative system would fit Star Wars well, I wouldn't want to bake in too much "plot armor." Movies look like they do because they are movies. In RPG terms, the movies are a recounting of what happened, not the actual play themselves. Star Wars works fine with real danger on the table.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No.
Apocalypse World (much more so than all other PtbA games I've seen) approaches scenes and conflict in a radically different way.
Yep. I knew what I was saying.
All the things you pointed out are aspects already present in AW.
Not really.
Don’t worry, I don’t need one.

I think maybe you lost track of what you were replying to or something. You described cool stunts with a backdrop of chaos, no mention of the cool stunts determining the course of the battle. AW hacks could go either way, depending on the scale intended for the PCs.

So I clarified that that’s all fine and good, as long as the characters are both doing cool individual things, and influencing the course of larger events. Action resolution and scene/goal resolution.

For many reasons, I think AW is a much worse fit for SW than many other pulp action-oriented pbta games.

The theme of Star Wars is Goofy, Silly, Cartoonish, Safe, Kid Friendly Action Adventure. Much like the sci fi and adventure serials of the past. The Empire are ''bad guys" and the Rebels are "good guys" because we are told so. There is lots of Goofy "bad military" Empire that can't hit anything vs the demi god Rebel heroes.

And for a movie with "everyone" appeal....it works!

For an RPG though........you get stuck with "generic kitchen sink sci-fi" and "space clerics". And it just does not work. In an RPG a couple Stromtroopers really can shoot and hit a character....but that would "never happen" in Star Wars. So, as soon as it does, it does not feel like Star Wars.

You can have some characters flying around in a Menlieneal Falcon "smuggling" some "power crystals" in space.....but it just feels like generic sci fi, not Star Wars.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
While I agree that a more cinematic, narrative system would fit Star Wars well, I wouldn't want to bake in too much "plot armor." Movies look like they do because they are movies. In RPG terms, the movies are a recounting of what happened, not the actual play themselves. Star Wars works fine with real danger on the table.
Exactly. There is a point where genre savviness in game design becomes a hindrance.

OTOH, in my own system death is one option when things hit that point, alongside a major permanent sacrifice (with a new Vulnerability, loss of a significant positive trait, loss of an ally or major damage to that relationship, putting them in a situation you have to then get them out of, etc, gaining a dangerous debt, etc) or retiring the character due to the injury or trauma of the event in question. I think that fits SW.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The theme of Star Wars is Goofy, Silly, Cartoonish, Safe, Kid Friendly Action Adventure. Much like the sci fi and adventure serials of the past. The Empire are ''bad guys" and the Rebels are "good guys" because we are told so. There is lots of Goofy "bad military" Empire that can't hit anything vs the demi god Rebel heroes.

And for a movie with "everyone" appeal....it works!

For an RPG though........you get stuck with "generic kitchen sink sci-fi" and "space clerics". And it just does not work. In an RPG a couple Stromtroopers really can shoot and hit a character....but that would "never happen" in Star Wars. So, as soon as it does, it does not feel like Star Wars.

You can have some characters flying around in a Menlieneal Falcon "smuggling" some "power crystals" in space.....but it just feels like generic sci fi, not Star Wars.

And let me guess…ancient weapons and hokey religion are no match for a blaster at your side?

Remove ads