Mutants & Masterminds

Ben Robbins

First Post
EditorBFG said:
Just wanted to mention, the Mastermind's Manual has rules for converting M&M to hit points, which can be helpful.
Personally I'm against switching M&M to hit points. The dramatic and sometimes surprising damage is part of what makes M&M feel comic booky (you swoop in and clock the villain, you don't whittle him away until he gets low on hit points).

If having the defender roll to resist damage feels too passive, you can switch it around and use the M&M Damage Roll. The odds are exactly the same, but the attacker rolls damage instead of the defender rolling to resist. It seems trivial but it really changes the feel of the game.

Kurashu

First Post
Well, this appears to be the system we'd want to get. This getting moved straight to the top of the wishlist.

Between this and Exalted, it looks like we might have a D&D free summer. >_>

Wrathamon

Adventurer
DO not use the Hp rules... We tried that and it blew.

It takes a bit of getting use to if you are use to HPs but once you get past that you will start to appreciate it.

takyris

First Post
Kurashu said:
Well, this appears to be the system we'd want to get. This getting moved straight to the top of the wishlist.

Between this and Exalted, it looks like we might have a D&D free summer. >_>

Good luck! If you run into issues (and there are several to run into -- a lot of room for interpretations and some different philosophies to get your mind wrapped around), this site is obviously very good, and the Atomic Think Tank is a wonderful source of information.

takyris said:
Good luck! If you run into issues (and there are several to run into -- a lot of room for interpretations and some different philosophies to get your mind wrapped around), this site is obviously very good, and the Atomic Think Tank is a wonderful source of information.
I'd say check the Atomic Think Tank, especially the Official Rules Questions threads, if you get stuck.

A fair number of questions, ranging from the esoteric to the blatantly obvious, have likely already been posted and answered by Steve Kenson himself.

It's one thing to get official answers from a game company. It's quite another when the author and creator is the one answering your questions. Just don't expect an immediate turn-around time from the man. After all, he does have various fiendish master plans that need tending too...

smparadox

First Post
I'll add my voice to the chorus. Mutants & Masterminds, especially the second edition, is the second best superhero game I have ever come across. (The first being, of course, Truth & Justice from Atomic Sock Monkey.) M&M does indeed have the flexibility of Champions, heck, I'd even go so far as to say that it provides more flexibility than Champions, without the major number-slogging that Champions requires. It is one of the few supers systems that allows speedsters to move faster than sound (something virtually every system makes impossible for some reason) - it is one of the few systems to not only allow improvisational uses of your powers, but to have real rules and to actually encourage it! Only T&J does a better job of simulating the action of the comics.That makes M&M well worth trying.

jonrog1

First Post
You know, as good as the Mastermind's Manual is, I wouldn't mind seeing a thread/wiki working out ways to adapt the system to non-supers gaming. Is there one kicking around, or should I fire it up?

Ranger REG

Explorer
jonrog1 said:
You know, as good as the Mastermind's Manual is, I wouldn't mind seeing a thread/wiki working out ways to adapt the system to non-supers gaming. Is there one kicking around, or should I fire it up?
I thought they did a secret agent sourcebook?

EditorBFG

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
I thought they did a secret agent sourcebook?
Yeah, but that was more for lower-powered characters within a superhero setting, not really a genre book or a reapplication of the rules like jonrog is talking about.

If such alternate rules were compiled somewhere, that would be really cool. I just did a rework on space travel, based on a little OGC from the McGuffin's books and my own campaign, and I would be happy to put that up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases