Valiant Adventures Superhero TTRPG Coming From Green Ronin

Mutants & Masterminds powered standalone game coming to Kickstarter in January.

dce883f8137b05e50a6ee74f4719ddfb_original.jpeg

Green Ronin has announced that it's Mutants & Masterminds-powered superhero RPG, Valiant Adventures, will be hitting Kickstarter on January 16th.

The game was originally announced in April 2023, and will be a standalone RPG based on the Valiant comic book universe, which features characters such as X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, and Archer & Armstrong. The initial launch will include three books--Valiant Adventures Hero’s Handbook, Gamemaster’s Kit, and the Worlds of Valiant sourcebook.

teitan

Legend
I'm surprised. And I'm thinking that a three book game for a universe most people haven't even heard of might not be the best idea. I went to college with the guy who wrote the characters for the DC books, and I know he read Valliant titles, so I'd expect the writeups to be very solid if they bring him back in.

I wonder if this will be a stealth 4th edition for the system.
It's a one book game with three available at launch, the core, a GM kit and a world book. That's not any different to M&M3e where you have the Deluxe Hero's Handbook, a GM kit was released and World of Freedom, the default setting used in the core rules.

teitan

Legend
They've said that it'll be entirely based on the existing 3rd ed system. Hopefully they'll tidy up some sore points, like the overpricedness of Shrinking, the messiness of Affliction, and the lack of anything resembling 2e's Independent modifier, which sorely limits the flexibility of the point-buy power building system. But i wouldn't bet on it. It sounded like they were just going to do a straight system lift and drop.

I wonder if GR made any sort of attempt to get the Marvel licence at all? It would seem to make sense, given their experience with licenced properties and M&Ms status as one of the big superhero games, but Marvel went with something completely brand new from Matt Forbeck instead (maybe they wanted to do it all in-house rather than licence out?) Or maybe GRs history with making a DC game counted against them there?
Marvel went in house as you said and that was their business plan to control quality. Marvel hasn't had a successful game since the original TSR game. It's also pretty simple, unlike M&M, for character creation and feels very similar to FASERIP in that sense. They wanted to catch the casual Marvel fan aaaand get the big box retailers. Target carries Marvel Multiverse on their shelves and it sells quick. My local stores were out a couple weeks ago and have since restocked in significant quantities, similarly with my Books A Million. My local comic shop sells it and they had dropped everything but D&D. I don't see Green Ronin having the same success with distribution to meet Marvel's needs.

As far as the DC license, I don't think it would count against GR because Wizkids, for example, holds a DC & Marvel license, so does CMON and several other license holders. It's a nonissue.

Valiant Comics has been around much longer than Kobold Press though. They own the trademark to "Valiant" since 1991.
No doubt. And maybe it’s Kobold Press’s problem. But how can they operate brands that seem so similar (“valiant”, and same colour scheme) without coming into conflict?

mamba

Legend
No doubt. And maybe it’s Kobold Press’s problem. But how can they operate brands that seem so similar (“valiant”, and same colour scheme) without coming into conflict?
Comic books vs TTRPGs are not similar brands. Valiant is a regular English word. I guess whatever trademark Valiant has is not enough to stop the / extend to the kobolds.

I am not expecting much confusion either, Valiant might expand into TTRPGs, but superhero is still rather distinct from fantasy

mwjen

Explorer
I wonder how long between the kickstart to publishing this will take. If they are just using 3E M&M ruleset then almost all the crunch is done and they can just transfer over the fluff part from the older Valiant ttrpg. Honestly most of what they actually have left to do is the layout for the new book and character stats.

Von Ether

Legend
I wonder how long between the kickstart to publishing this will take. If they are just using 3E M&M ruleset then almost all the crunch is done and they can just transfer over the fluff part from the older Valiant ttrpg. Honestly most of what they actually have left to do is the layout for the new book and character stats.
That "older fluff part" could be CGLs work and I doubt they'd hand it over as they seem to still be selling it. Now if CGL just cut and pasted something out of the Valiant bibles, they could do the same, but they'd have to go hunt it down in the same word document as a matter of due diligence to avoid plagiarism.

Regardless, the allegedly "just this" and "just that" stuff is often more involved AND more tedious than anyone can assume.

Remove ads

Remove ads