My armour hinders my recovery from... Lycanthropy??

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Ok, I've finally actually started reading the rules in detail and I'm left scratching my head over the endurance skill.

The armour check penalty applies to endurance for holding breath, extreme temperature etc... That's fine. But then when my paladin is trying to shrug off the effects of say Mummy Rot, the presence of his shield weakens his system?

I can maybe understand filth fever and a grimy set of platemail but this blanket armour check penalty seems a wee bit dificult to swallow.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Asmor

First Post
Well, from a strictly common sense standpoint, I think you could convince most DMs to ignore the penalty for diseases.

That said, it probably would never come into play anyways. Realistically, your character shouldn't be wearing his armor all the time, particularly during an extended rest (which is when he's probably sleeping), and so when you make your check at the end of that extended rest, you're not wearing your armor.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Ok, I've finally actually started reading the rules in detail and I'm left scratching my head over the endurance skill.

The armour check penalty applies to endurance for holding breath, extreme temperature etc... That's fine. But then when my paladin is trying to shrug off the effects of say Mummy Rot, the presence of his shield weakens his system?

I can maybe understand filth fever and a grimy set of platemail but this blanket armour check penalty seems a wee bit dificult to swallow.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Unfortunately its true. Doesnt make sense, doesnt have to its just the way it has to be. And you dont have to worry about Lycanthropy you cant contract it anyhow :)

Coyraven

First Post
Well, you make the endurance check for a disease at the end of an extended rest, correct?

The pc's shouldn't be sleeping in their armor, but resting as comfortably as possible.

Consider the armor check penalty the result of getting a poor rest and the body not getting the full chance to resist the disease.

CR

Yeah there is a lot of that. Cover gives my a bonus to my will save! I got over it by ignoring the implications, we are just not getting to deep in our game at the moment...

malraux

First Post
Well, think about it this way. Armor takes extra energy to wear around. Just as how sometimes exercising hard can make cold worse, wearing armor might make it harder to fight off disease. For cover benefiting will defense, I see that as first the attack has to hit, then convince your mind. Even though its a single roll, its an abstraction of a two step process in which cover can help.

DracoSuave

First Post
Yeah, I can see it. Armor isn't exactly the best sort of thing to be fighting off magical diseases in. It seems a lot more of a 'This probably is using up energy you could be using to not get sick' thing.

Hambot

First Post
This is why the game has a DM - an arbitrator to make special exceptions for when the rules don't make any sense. Ask your DM what they believe - that becomes the right answer for your game.

Re - sleeping in armour, there is an entire thread on that subject alone, up to and including a youtube video of a guy doing cartwheels and pushups in plate armour. If you want the danger of sleeping in a nightie and being ambushed, fine, if you just want a heroic game where you don't worry about the little things, just play what is fun for your group.

Remove ads