D&D 1E My clever theory: why 1e AD&D is being reprinted

JoeGKushner

First Post
I doubt this is their specific intention.

A nice little side effect and tie in? sure.

On a related note. I am EXCITED to get these books finally. Having played D&D for around 12 years and never touched AD&D or really anything but 3.X and some 4E.

What's stopping you from getting them now? They are generally easy to find.

SlyDoubt

First Post
What's stopping you from getting them now? They are generally easy to find.

I have actually looked for them from time to time. Locally I can't find anything and via amazon while I can find them I can't seem to ever be looking when there are good quality copies going for reasonable prices.

Same goes for planescape stuff. thankfully my girlfriend managed to snag a copy of the campaign setting box set for $30! and it's in nearly perfect shape! best birthday present yet.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I have actually looked for them from time to time. Locally I can't find anything and via amazon while I can find them I can't seem to ever be looking when there are good quality copies going for reasonable prices.

Same goes for planescape stuff. thankfully my girlfriend managed to snag a copy of the campaign setting box set for $30! and it's in nearly perfect shape! best birthday present yet.

Sorry to hear about that. On the core books almost any of the 3 Half Priced I go to always have them, usually one or two in good to near mint condition.

But the Planscape stuff, and 2nd ed in generally, does not appear to be printed in such volume.

Nivenus

First Post
Given that 5e is being marketed explicitly as a D&D game that includes the best of all editions (and presumably not just 3e and 4e) this sames fairly likely, at least in part. It seems almost certain to me they're going to incorporate something from the first two iterations of (A)D&D.

I'm not all that interested in this product per se, but I'm considering buying it to encourage them to rerelease more retro products.

Personally I'd like to see new printings of the 2e AD&D campaign settings. Maybe even system neutral adaptations of them.

Actually, most of what I want at this point are reprinted modules and campaign stuff. Ideally with new art though...

Hell, if they dont want to commit to doing a print run, do color PoD copies on dtrpg. It's apparently working out well for WhiteWolf.

I wouldn't mind if they cannibalized the art from 3e and 4e, so long as the art is art of the same thing. Use the 3e Monsters of Faerun Helmed Horror image instead of a 2e one. Use 3e and 4e drow images in the drow modules. etc.
Often, the only refernces to ADnD rules are race and class levels of nobles and important persons... which tell you enough about them in this rules system. You can easily take a book and use it in 3rd edition.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Unfortunately, a lot of places don't have those stores.

True but if you're posting on the boards, e-bay is usually a good resource.

Now if you're willing to fork over $34 + tax right now Noble Knight Games has one for like $15 + shipping.

ebay isn't for everyone but if you're only waiting for the reprint because you can't find it locally... well, there's an ebay for that.

(BTW Noble Knight Games is pretty good and no problems with them in the past.)

Ace

Adventurer
Just as a personal note, I consider 2e to be my edition as of all of the ones I played (starting with Holmes) its the one i got the most fun out of. Despite that and 1e being far from a favorite of mine, I still want these books, if only to reward smarts.

I only wish they were the nigh indestructible hardcover of the originals.

Remove ads