D&D General My Favorite Edition of D&D is...

My favorite edition of D&D is...

• ...the edition I was introduced to D&D with.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • ...the edition I played the longest/most of.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • ...both the one I was introduced to D&D with and played the longest/most of.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • ...neither the one I was introduced to D&D with nor the one I played the longest/most of.

Votes: 48 55.8%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's a strange poll. First-impression bias is a very real and well-studied phenomenon. And if something is your favorite, you are going to enjoy it as often as you can (so in the case of a game, it will be the one you play the most). But both are very different ways of measuring a "favorite," and they don't always overlap. So I predict a large number of "neither" votes.

My favorite version of D&D is BECM. It was the version I was first introduced to, but it isn't the version I've played the most of (which would be 3.5E) nor the version I am currently playing (5E). So I'm going with the first one I played.

Curse you, first-impression bias!

Last edited:

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Started with Black Box/Rules Cyclopedia in 1991, but my parents took away all my D&D stuff a year later (they thought I spent too much time reading D&D manuals and it was teaching me racism).

AD&D 2nd Edition and 3E are just about tied for the most played. I ran the former from 1998-2000 and the latter from 2001-2004.

But 5E brought me back in and is my favorite to date. I can convert material from any of the previous editions, and love that it's as easy to run as 2E but has the more intuitive design of 3E. I have my quibbles with it (particularly Dex and Int game balance issues), but nothing any greater than my issues with previous editions.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Introduced with B/X.

In mass of years, it would be 1st edition AD&D, if number of total hours played, probably 3.5. Favorite edition definitely 1st edition AD&D.

atanakar

Hero
My favorite edition is 5e. Not because it is the current one but because it is very flexible thanks to the DMG options. But I long for simpler decluttered classes as in Holmes and B/X. I can't resolve myself to play these old editions because there are many things I am glad to have left behind. My only option is to do my own version of «D&D5e Lite». Which, coincidentally, I started doing today.

Just to add a data point: started with BECMI, favorite is 4th (which is also my second least played - I've never actually played 2e).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Started with 2E, played the most of 3E (in all its incarnations) but 4E is my favorite narrowly over 5E. (It's a tough call, but if I could run any one game, it would be a 4E Dark Sun game with enthusiastic players, so that's the tiebreaker.)

atanakar

Hero
It's a strange poll. First-impression bias is a very real and well-studied phenomenon. And if something is your favorite, you are going to enjoy it as often as you can (so in the case of a game, it will be the one you play the most). But both are very different ways of measuring a "favorite," and they don't always overlap. So I predict a large number of "neither" votes.

My favorite version of D&D is BECM. It was the version I was first introduced to, but it isn't the version I've played the most of (which would be 3.5E) nor the version I am currently playing (5E). So I'm going with the first one I played.

Curse you, first-impression bias!

My parents made me eat generic industrial mustard during my childhood. I love it, until I tried Dijon mustard. I have no love or nostalgia for industrial mustard. 🙃

First D&D product I bought was the Basic(Red?) box in 1981, but everyone was playing 1st Ed AD&D, so I tossed the box and bought the books and played 1st, and then 2nd, or a combo of the two, for the next 15 years. I didn't really do much at all with 3rd until the 3.5 books were released, but the game had become too complex for my tastes and I did not play much of 3.5. And then came 4th, which I did not like at all from the previews and avoided that edition completely. Tried Pathfinder for a while, but still too complex for the time I had available to put into it. Then 5th finally came along and I started playing D&D again. I will take 1st/2nd and 5th pretty equally, but probably 5th, just because of the ease of finding players for it. But if I were to get together with gamers with experience across the editions, I would go with the one I played the most, 1st/2nd Ed AD&D.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My parents made me eat generic industrial mustard during my childhood. I love it, until I tried Dijon mustard. I have no love or nostalgia for industrial mustard. 🙃
Good point, first-impression bias varies by topic and person but it's still common. I bet you could think of a handful of examples of other things that you still prefer from your childhood. (Maybe it doesn't apply to mustard for you, but it does for me.)

1586463202526.png

Seriously, why even bother with French's mustard, when pure vinegar is so much cheaper and tastes the same? Get yourself a real mustard. I love this one so much that I won't even bother trying other brands. "No thank you, Fancy Mustard salesman," I will say, "I already have sixteen bottles of Gulden's at home. Go find someone else to disappoint."

Last edited:

Remove ads