• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E My First 4E Game: Disappointing. Yours? (UPDATED with player feedback)

drjones

Explorer
Henry said:
With all the Wow talk, and breaking out the laptops without even telling you they were bringing them, it sounds like they were more interested in some computer gaming for that night than in RPG'ing, anyway. :)

Yeah, they sound like junkies.

Really this game is like Grand Theft Auto.
You beat up weaker folks and take the stuff that falls out of em. Authority figures tell you to get the mcguffin and you do. You play dress up.

If only 4th edition had bicycle practice and a great 80s soundtrack.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Kishin said:
I think you're reading way too deep into things. His tone came across to me as very honest. I highly doubt the intention was to antagonize.

What's wrong with him wanting to share his experience?

You know what? You're completely right. Reading (and re-reading) the original post, as well as the responses, I admit that I was overreacting and totally out of line.

CleverNickName - It seems unfortunate that 4E, as we know it now, is not a good match for your current group. I hope the stubbornness of those particular players does not influence your opinion of the system itself, in the future.

Apologies, again. With more sincerity than the last time. :heh:

JesterOC

Explorer
CleverNickName said:
I ran my first 4E game last night, and it was...well, there's no easy way to say this.

It was lousy.

Bummer dude. My game ran great, only praise. But then everyone wanted to play D&D, they did not care if it was 3e or 4e, they just wanted to play. We had not played for years and it was great to get back into it.

JesterOC

jeffh

Adventurer
CleverNickName said:
The anti-4E crowd will want to use this lackluster gaming experience like a banner, waving it around and making claims of how 4E is "too videogamey" or "too much like WoW," and how it is turning off even the veteran gamers. This is the death of D&D altogether, only an idiot would spend money on a game they already own, there is no reason for it, 4E causes global warming and uneven tire wear, etc.

The pro-4E crowd will want to flame me for my presumed-inferior DM skills. Since 4E is shiney and new and perfect, the blame for my aborted gaming session clearly rests upon me alone. Or upon my friends, who clearly suck for not liking 4E. 4E is Teh Sex, and anyone who doesn't agree is poorly informed somehow. Whatever.
Actually, all anyone is likely to think it shows (and a quick skim of the thread seems to largely back me up here) is that if your group goes into 4E having already made up their minds not to like it, they won't like it. Which is no major revelation.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I also ran the Raiders of Oakhurst adventure for three members of my group. Fortunately, they were all open-minded. Overall, the reception was positive. We had the Fighter, Cleric, Ranger, Wizard and Warlock. 2 of the players each played 2 characters.

The only real complaints we had were with marking, saving throws and the cleric's bonuses. Marking was just annoying to keep track of, forgotten more than once, and overall just a mechanic we all felt the game would be better without. We used tokens, the problem is we'd forget to mark in the first place, but once we did, the tokens helped us remember who was marked. The Warlock player got tired of the curse mechanic rather quickly. He felt it was repetitive and annoying to do round after round, and wondered why the 1d6 extra damage wasn't just a bonus that is always applied to his attacks. Likewise, the bonus from the cleric's prayers were usually just forgotten about, rendering them worthless.

One of my friends, who has always been a simulationist, found the 1-1-1 diagonal movement "ridiculous", but after we played with it, it didn't seem to be all that bad. The only other thing that bothered us was the way saving throws work. The Wizard was very displeased at just how ineffective Sleep is now, to the point of being almost worthless. We got the hang of rolling saves against the repeated acid damage of the dragon, but it just felt akward somehow. Saving throws were definately something we had some reservations about. I, as the DM, really didn't like the recharge mechanic either. I'd much rather they have just said how many times per encounter it can be used, or how many rounds of recharge is needed before using it again. I felt like rolling every round to see if it recharged slowed things down and was annoying for me.

Despite the few negatives, there were alot of very positive opinions as well. Combat, except for the things mentioned above, seemed to go very smoothly and quickly. My group absolutely love the way the defenses work, and the overall streamlining of things. We also liked the passive perception mechanic, as it really helped to speed things up and eliminate the obvious giveaway of asking people to roll perception to notice things. We also really were impressed with how much fun playing a 1st level character is, compared to previous editions.

In the end, the players all died to the Dragon, which had 4 (not kidding, FOUR) HP left when it finally KO'd the last player. It was quite the fight, though I do think its HP are a bit extreme for a level 4 creature, solo monster or not. Overall, we went away with a positive, look forward to seeing more attitude. The negatives were mostly set aside as something we probably don't entirely understand yet or were just having trouble with because it was our first time playing it. Time will tell whether we adjust to those things or house rule them, but overall, our group is looking forward to 4th edition.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Jack99 said:
That's odd, I had you definitely in the anti-4e crowd.
Yeah, you aren't the first to say that. I wrote a post on my blog last month about 4E and my online gaming group (not the group in this post). They had balked at the monthly price of DDI and the lack of a monk, druid, and barbarian in the initial release. So I made the decision to keep my current campaign 3.5E until it finishes, which probably won't happen for at least another year.

This isn't the same as being "anti-4E," but I can see where people would arrive at that conclusion.

I got the idea to try out the Lite 4E rules when I saw the Raiders of Oakhurst adventure. I thought it would be fun to test it out on my local gaming group. This group is more of an all-purpose gaming group; we enthusiastically play everything from OD&D to Quake depending on our mood...so I thought they would have been an ideal test group. Boy, was I wrong. :\

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait until the books are released and then "accidentally" leave my 4E book laying around, as Stalker0 suggested.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
CleverNickName said:
Nobody was all that impressed with the wizard; the ranger was clearly the star of the show.

You know, when we gave the same characters a try, that was pretty much the table's opinion as well. The ranger, and to a certain extent, the paladin were definitely star characters compared to the rest of us. They always had something fairly effective and, in the paladin's case, varied to do while the rest of us sat in ruts, particularly once we started getting whupped by the dragon.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
billd91 said:
You know, when we gave the same characters a try, that was pretty much the table's opinion as well. The ranger, and to a certain extent, the paladin were definitely star characters compared to the rest of us. They always had something fairly effective and, in the paladin's case, varied to do while the rest of us sat in ruts, particularly once we started getting whupped by the dragon.

My group wasn't terribly impressed with the Wizard, either.

Remove ads