D&D 5E My New Players Have Quit 5th Edition

baradtgnome

First Post
My first game of d&d was OD&D..Keep on the Borderlands. I rolled up my character...a magic user...I found my way to the kobald lair. I cast my one magic missile spell for 1d4+1 damage. Then I died. Kept on playing...

Our first game was Keep on the Borderland in the boxed set. I DM'd and TPK the party before they got 30 feet into one of the caves.

We scratched our heads and decided to try again another day. Somehow that led to 35 years of table top gaming (mostly D&D 1e & 3.5e) and some life long friends. YMMV, but I recommended giving it another go and consider some of the advice presented here.

I'm looking forward to playing 5e with my friends, and if there is a TPK, we'll have another good story to tell.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Death occurs only if you take a total amount of damage, in one blow, equal to your current remaining hit points plus your maximum hit points; or if you accumulate three failed death saves.

Thinking about it, this means if you are at 0 hp and someone attacks you and does your max hp in damage, you die from massive damage.

Thaumaturge.

Dausuul

Legend
Thinking about it, this means if you are at 0 hp and someone attacks you and does your max hp in damage, you die from massive damage.
Yup. In fact, that is explicitly stated on page 76, under "Damage at 0 hit points." (If you don't die by massive damage, you instead add one failed death save, or two if the hit was a crit.)

Thaumaturge

Yup. In fact, that is explicitly stated on page 76, under "Damage at 0 hit points." (If you don't die by massive damage, you instead add one failed death save, or two if the hit was a crit.)

Hey, look at that.

Good thing I thought that in my thinker. :heh:

Thaumaturge.

Herschel

Adventurer
I had a similar situation with MERP.

I couldn't stop rolling open-ended critical results. After three sessions against successively weaker opponents all ended in TPK, I retired the game system.

I remember my first MERP. I lost three characters in the first session.
As a player.

Pentegarn

First Post
That is one thing I specifically asked. I asked for a higher starting hit point variant. ..was denied.

And you're incapable of creating a house rule for your table to fix it?

Even the rules bloated 3rd edition, along with every edition of D&D published, WotC and non-WotC, have encouraged DM's to change and tweak the game as best fits their group. There's SOOOOO many players these days that seem to have to be led around by the nose, have everything down in writing. So many seemingly incapable of even a little common sense, reasoning, and/or making decisions on their own when in comes to rpgs. Even the most rules laden rpgs are games of imagination, yet so many players and DMs seem to be lacking in it. These types should stick to MMOs which do practically all the thinking and imagining for them.

thunktanker

First Post
For newbs, consider using the average damage roll amount instead of actually rolling damage for monsters. I can't be sure, but if I remember right, they are putting the average damage roll in the monster stat blocks now, and the average damage is a 5 for the first encounter. That way the party doesn't have to get steamrolled by a dm getting lucky with the damage rolls. Makes things a little more predictable.

Thaumaturge

For newbs, consider using the average damage roll amount instead of actually rolling damage for monsters. I can't be sure, but if I remember right, they are putting the average damage roll in the monster stat blocks now, and the average damage is a 5 for the first encounter. That way the party doesn't have to get steamrolled by a dm getting lucky with the damage rolls. Makes things a little more predictable.

They do include average damage. For the bugbear (which is not the encounter originally discussed), I might roll. The average damage is...high. Rolling gives a chance of lower than average. :)

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads