D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. What?

I've been nothing but a fan of halflings this whole thread and the last one. I'm just a hard opponent of bad game design vis a vis screwing Small races for no good reason.
It's not bad game design for the rules to emulate the reality they're supposed to represent. That is the opposite of bad game design.

Yaarel

He Mage
Hard disagree. There is nothing that kills my interest in fantasy faster than 'it's fantasy so nothing needs to make sense.' Also, you wouldn't play a halfling even if they could use polearms, so let those of us who actually like halflings have rules that at least somewhat try to represent their size.
These days, a way-oversized "buster sword" is trope.

As long as the sword is magic, I dont mind too much.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Hard disagree. There is nothing that kills my interest in fantasy faster than 'it's fantasy so nothing needs to make sense.' Also, you wouldn't play a halfling even if they could use polearms, so let those of us who actually like halflings have rules that at least somewhat try to represent their size.
You have to admit it's kind of random game logic that both disallows a small creature from wielding a medium sized weapon and at the same time allows that same small creature to hold a medium shield and use it to deflect a gargantuan warhammer.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
People_Edri_sepia.jpg
Those remind me of nordic trolls, and they look awesome. Please tell me either you drew them or know the artist.

Yaarel

He Mage
@Mind of tempest

Because players can choose between several Alfar traits, and because "daylight", immunity to radiant damage, and other solar themes are central, I probably will add an option to focus on radiant damage. The Alfar literally are sunbeams, a laser beam is not out of the question.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Pondering ability scores, and going to str, dex, agil from just str and dex; where str keeps damage, dex gets to hit, and agil gets ac and init.

When things are split, is it as painful to have str and agility limits for humanoids based on size? (Small and non-magical like halflings have str up to 14, big and non-magical like ogres have agil below something... Magical small humanoid could have bigger str if that's part of their thing, same for magical big humanoids and agility). Or will most people who chose a small or big race be upset that it acts like a small or big race would (unless they had something magically relevant about them, something halflings don't traditionally have).

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Heh, I cant get the image out of my mind, of certain spaceship battles, where a beam is arcing across the visible universe splitting everything in its path.

Suddenly also, Superman laser eyes.

Dont mess with Elves!
@Mind of tempest

Because players can choose between several Alfar traits, and because "daylight", immunity to radiant damage, and other solar themes are central, I probably will add an option to focus on radiant damage. The Alfar literally are sunbeams, a laser beam is not out of the question.
I was going with hands as what would light be in war other than focused death? (which is what a laser elf would be also super sellable to people who know nothing about your setting)personally maybe white and gold armour and a dash of volcan for the logical side.
also, I would love your version of the other four possible colours, red elves?
Pondering ability scores, and going to str, dex, agil from just str and dex; where str keeps damage, dex gets to hit, and agil gets ac and init.

When things are split, is it as painful to have str and agility limits for humanoids based on size? (Small and non-magical like halflings have str up to 14, big and non-magical like ogres have agil below something... Magical small humanoid could have bigger str if that's part of their thing, same for magical big humanoids and agility). Or will most people who chose a small or big race be upset that it acts like a small or big race would (unless they had something magically relevant about them, something halflings don't traditionally have).
that is a difficult game design problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads