D&D 5E My Super Simple Idea for a Better Fighter

ECMO3

Hero
Extra reactions would make things like reach broken, which turn out to be balanced in 5e because of the hard rule of only one reaction per round.

Reactions are cool conceptually, but the interruptions slow down gameplay.

Balancewise, it might be ok to spend the next action on a current extra reaction instead. Or get an extra reaction per short rest, or something like that.
Agree on slowdown.

The real balance problem is not getting mulitple AOOs, but rather using multiple defenses and spells in one turn and not paying a opportunity cost for making an opportunity attack.

For example if I have 3 reactions in a turn, my EK can use a reaction to make an AOO, then use a second reaction to cast shield if an enemy hits him and then still have a final reaction for absorb elements if the dragon breathes fire on us.

The current system really makes for a high opportunity cost in using a reaction in a situation like that (which happen often). If you are facing a dragon and his allies you probably are not taking that AOO at all and you are going to debate using shield to keep that absorb elements in your back pocket.

Add in things like silvery barbs, a warlock multiclass and save or suck feats/abilities/spells and ready actions into the mix to be used following an AOO or other reaction and it is going to be very complicated and OP with varied combinations to exploit this seam.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
For example if I have 3 reactions in a turn, my EK can use a reaction to make an AOO, then use a second reaction to cast shield if an enemy hits him and then still have a final reaction for absorb elements if the dragon breathes fire on us.

So that requires:
1. You paid a price for having two extra reactions (for example, a repeatable feat) which means you don't have some other shiny things (for example, two other feats, or +4 to an ability score).
2. You spend two spell slots.
3. You happen to be in a situation where all three of those events...OA, enemy hit, dragon breath...happen between your turns, on separate turns. How frequently is that going to occur?

I honestly don't see what the problem is here.

dave2008

Legend
I threw this out there in another thread and NOBODY RESPONDED. /sob

I started trying to design a Fighter subclass that had special moves that could be used infinitely, without consuming resources (X times/rest) but instead were gated situationally, or with an action/bonus action/reaction cost. But most of my ideas for those abilities overlapped with feats. So I thought, "Well, why not feats?"

Presenting....the world's least verbose subclass!

Warrior
Whenever you gain a subclass feature, choose one feat from Mobility, Alert, Charger, Grappler, Shield Master, Mage Slayer, Defensive Duelist, and Sentinel.

EDIT: Also the new Tasha's feat that lets you choose a fighting style.

Notes:
- I did not include any feats that give an ASI
- I also left off Polearm Master/GWM/SS. The Fighter still has plenty of feats if you want those.
- In general I was going for feats that give you something new to do, give you a new way to use something you have, or change the calculus on when you would use it. And then there's Alert, which I just like.

Thoughts? OP?
You should add the UA weapon feats too. Make them class specific feats (for @Charlaquin niche protection).

dave2008

Legend
Love it. Simple. Direct. Off-hand does not seem OP at all.

I wonder if adding things like Magic Initiate, Metamagic, Eldritch Invocation, and others might make a simple GISH-type subclass?
That is a good idea, you could have different subclasses with different lists of feats.

RainOnTheSun

Explorer
On the subject of making fighters more broadly talented instead of more focused, here's an idea for a feat-based fighter: what if they could select their feats at the start of an adventure, the same way a caster selects their spells? Now the same fighter can be a sharpshooter, a fencing champion, a dual-wielding blender, or a halberdier - they just can't be all of those things at once. It would also make the feats that appear in new splatbooks as valuable to a fighter as the spells are to a caster, since it wouldn't be too late to incorporate them into an existing character.

Bill Zebub

On the subject of making fighters more broadly talented instead of more focused, here's an idea for a feat-based fighter: what if they could select their feats at the start of an adventure, the same way a caster selects their spells? Now the same fighter can be a sharpshooter, a fencing champion, a dual-wielding blender, or a halberdier - they just can't be all of those things at once. It would also make the feats that appear in new splatbooks as valuable to a fighter as the spells are to a caster, since it wouldn't be too late to incorporate them into an existing character.

I struggle with the fiction if a fighter's strengths/weaknesses change at the start of an adventure. I suppose you could make up something about training, but it feels weird to me.

I'd rather see something involving "stances" (for lack of a better word), that can be chosen as a free action at the beginning of your turn.

Bill Zebub

Consider appropriating the Mighty Deeds of Arms mechanic from Dungeon Crawl Classics. See the Warrior class description in the free quick start rules.
I just read it. Flavor-wise I love it, but from a game design perspective there’s no cost. Maybe that’s the goal: to have warriors attempt a Deed every turn. But for 5e I would rather there be a cost.

Off the top of my head, something like roll with disadvantage, and if you are successful you can choose from various effects to impose on your target until the start of your next turn.

Remove ads