• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Wife Has Befriended a Tyrannosaurus Rex!

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Kai Lord Wrote:

"Your wife's name wouldn't happen to be Tammy, would it?"

Hello there Kai Lord!:) Ummm...no, her name isn't Tammy...I think...what's her name?...:) LOL! No, really, that isn't her name my friend. Why do you ask? Do you know a Tammy that has a Tyrannosaurus Rex for a friend?

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Awakening the Body as well as the Mind

I have to chime in with Monk. And I'm serious.

Firstly, this is the most embodied class, no other class is going to actually help the dinosaur to use his teeth better, save maybe druid or rogue.

Secondly, the experience of being awakened would, if it were excited by being sentitent that is, make an animal pretty interested in introspection and exploring the limits of being a thinking embodied being.

Third, Neal Stephenson has a fantastic story of a T-Rex learning Judo in Diamond Age.

The T-Rex basically has this life changing experience, the death of all other dinosaurs, which makes it realize that big teeth aren't the best survival strategy anymore. So it looks at what survives and decides that it can't really cooperate with its own kind like ants can or fly and be cool like birds can. He could try to be cunning like the mammals. The mice challenge him to beat their champion and he realizes that this mouse has killed many animals larger than him, challenges the mouse to a game of tic-tac-toe (a popular dinosaur game unknown to mice), defeats the mouse, and then begs to be the mouse's pupil. The mouse knows kung-fu.

A fine story with a proper moral lesson, but also a potential example of the path of a dinosaur who has just had his world-view radically altered.

kiznit

Explorer
Seems to me that if the Tyrannasaurus is already an 18HD heavy, adding a character class is pretty much just "flavor", right? I say hook it up with an NPC class level or two, like expert or adept. Lots of room there for a more "explorative" skill set or magical exploration, as opposed to the more "overnight" training and specification that a PC class gives it.

A level of expert'll give it the opportunity to get skills in ANYthing, even exclusives, and since it's already got 18hd, the skill cap is at 21 ranks, right? Potential instant mastery!

Imagine, a Tyrannasarus Rex with the ultimate powers of innuendo! ...and not much else.

My $.02 copper.

jollyninja

First Post
imagine the t-rex with maxed out ranks in jump and a ring of jumping, with the expertise and dodge feats. and how big of a sword could that guy wield? i can't stop giggling at the load my players would drop over that one. if you have the wheel of time rpg or know someone who does, check out the woodsman. i like it better then ranger for an awakened animal, it's all about native terrain in stead of specific enemies.

Kai Lord

Hero
SHARK said:
Greetings!

Kai Lord Wrote:

"Your wife's name wouldn't happen to be Tammy, would it?"

Hello there Kai Lord!:) Ummm...no, her name isn't Tammy...I think...what's her name?...:) LOL! No, really, that isn't her name my friend. Why do you ask? Do you know a Tammy that has a Tyrannosaurus Rex for a friend?

Why, yes, actually, I do:

http://www.wsu.edu/~delahoyd/tammy.trex.html

Sejs

First Post
I'm going to have to chime in with the T-Rex / Monk thing also. Dinosaur from the Diamond Age was just far too cool.

T-Rex monk (or ex-fighter, monk?) with a mouse sensei.

*nod*

(if you havn't read the Diamond Age I highly recomend it.)

^_^

rackabello

First Post
jgbrowning said:
T-rex do have tiny little arms, but only because the rest of their bodies are so huge. I think the estamation on the strenght of one of the arms was a 500lb curl capacity. :) strong, strong!
While this may be true, if I remember rightly, Tyrannosaurus rex's arms were a teensy six inches long, which would make them very awkward to use for wielding weapons or tools that weren't specially designed for them. The small size of T. rex's arms is one of the arguments some have used in theorizing that the big dino may actually have been a scavenger.

At any rate, when you're 15 feet tall and 6 tons, with a mouth full of serrated six inch long teeth, arms may well be overrated.

Oh, and if you're keen to play a dinosaur bard, consider Parasaurolophus. Computer simulations suggest these swamp dwellers had lovely, trumpet like voices.

Last edited:

clark411

First Post
I'd only allow the mini T Rex to have magical items that were monocles, derby hats, vests, and old fashioned mustaches (the sort what curl up at the ends.) Perhaps, if he is good, a pocket watch for the vest. There's nothing quite like a Gilded Age dinosaur walking around going "oh how absolutely uncivilized!" whenever danger comes a knocking.

As for true- dinosaur Cleric, with a dino / war / strength domain. I'd see an awakened dinosaur begin to question why there are no others around (unless they are common and not all sleeping as this one was) and then forthrightly act on correcting this. Also attack and terrorize small mammalian creatures as well for picking on him before he was awakened.

mmadsen

First Post
Indeed, we will be going to the Gen Con in San Diego, California!
You better have an "I am SHARK" t-shirt on and plenty of hardcopies of your work for sale! (I wonder how many EN Worlders -- and EN World lurkers -- are in the San Diego area...)

Remove ads