• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Wife Has Befriended a Tyrannosaurus Rex!

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

In one campaign that I have, my wife has used a *Wish* to Awaken a Tyrannosaurus Rex that she Dominated. His name is Alcibiades, and he is pale grey, with a white underbelly, and black and dark blue stripes. She then cast a *Reduce* spell on him, so that he could be small enough to go underground with her. She is preparing to provide him with enchanted books that will boost his stats--all of them--and she wants to help him to learn to read, and learn history and other subjects.

Should I allow Alcibiades to enter a character class? If so, which one? In addition, she wants to make magic items for him, too. What kinds of magic items and equipment would you outfit a 18-HD Tyrannosaurus Rex?

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Crothian

First Post
I want one!! :D

He's an intellegent creature now, so should be able to gain levels in any class. I'm not sure what the ecl is though. As to what class, that would depend on the T-Rex. Is he an intellictual? Perhaps he enjoys a good sonnet or ballad? Or does he foam at the mouth and run towards the danger?

Magical items will be a little more difficult. Perhaps a magical tooth that gives his bite attack an Enhancement bonus?

jollyninja

First Post
i would think a predator would tend to lean heavily toward the barbarian or ranger class, i'd make one of them it's favored class. however if it was a character i was going to play i'd want to go druid. thousand faces would be so sweet at thirteenth level. then it could travel with her anywhere. also it gives it magic without the need for books. or you could up it's skill pts and feats per hd due to the higher int and gear it toward an appropriate prc.

edit: give it a magic item to make it fly, just to mess with people's perception of reality.

Last edited:

Creeping Death

First Post
This sounds cool. With all the spells and abilities out there it would seem that we should hear more about stuff like this going on. If it is awakened I would say that it would be smart enough to pick up a character class. I would make the favored class barbarian or fighter. From what I remember T-Rex's lack real arms, not really prohibiting spellcasting but something to keep it from being a favored class.

As far as magical items go, I could see some modified boots working for it. Boots of springing and striding. Tail spikes could be added maybe even an enchanted helm that had horns or spikes that could be used to gore. Armor, of course would have to be specially built thus increasing the cost. You have to remember though that the T-Rex's arms are small and probably would only be able to have a ring and bracelet on each arm.

This is cool, consider it stolen for some NPCs I'm working on :).

Mr Fidgit

First Post
that's one heck of a situation you've got there, SHARK

"Should I allow Alcibiades to enter a character class? If so, which one?"

sure, but you'd have to figure out what the ECL of an awakened T-Rex is first and then apply levels (or make Alcibiades gain the necessary exp first -- there was recent discussion about this topic here: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28091)

"What kinds of magic items and equipment would you outfit a 18-HD Tyrannosaurus Rex?"

i'd look to Masters of the Wild for inspiration. some items listed are 'normal' items made to fit animals (collar of resistance is the same as a cloak of resistance)

i think you should remember, when Alcibiades is awakened, and his ability scores are further increased, he'll have a personality of his own. he shouldn't be forced into a particular class he doesn't want to gain. when he becomes a full-fledged NPC, he should be treated as such, with his own attitudes and goals apart from your wife's PC.

it would be like trying to teach a willful child. an eight ton, 20 hit die, +20 melee, improved grab, swallow-your-teacher-whole child :D

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Crothian said:
I want one!! :D

He's an intellegent creature now, so should be able to gain levels in any class. I'm not sure what the ecl is though. As to what class, that would depend on the T-Rex. Is he an intellictual? Perhaps he enjoys a good sonnet or ballad? Or does he foam at the mouth and run towards the danger?

I'm not so sure about the sonnet spouting T-Rex Bard, though I suppose it depends on your view of Awaken, Intelligence and T-Rex's generally.

Personally I seperate Intelligence and Instinct and say that even though an Awakened creature may be smarter than your average bear will it in fact act completely differently? Or will it just be a animal that more readily recognises danger, can make cunning plans to trap its prey, and try to communicate (Lassie-like).

Then we get to T-Rex behaviour - are they mindless hunting machines, or complex, intelligent social animals? if the former then Barbarian seems an appropriate class, if the later than Ranger might be in order. I also took a look at the Bronchosaurus link and thing the Psionics idea has potential too.

Also what are you ruling about T-rex's short arms - can they hold weapons and manipulate objects? or are the arms too small to be useful?

Creeping Death said:
From what I remember T-Rex's lack real arms, not really prohibiting spellcasting but something to keep it from being a favored class.

As far as magical items go, I could see some modified boots working for it. Boots of springing and striding. Tail spikes could be added maybe even an enchanted helm that had horns or spikes that could be used to gore. Armor, of course would have to be specially built thus increasing the cost. You have to remember though that the T-Rex's arms are small and probably would only be able to have a ring and bracelet on each arm.

This is cool, consider it stolen for some NPCs I'm working on :).

T-rex do have tiny little arms, but only because the rest of their bodies are so huge. I think the estamation on the strenght of one of the arms was a 500lb curl capacity. :) strong, strong!

that aside, i think the most unusual would be cleric. It would be an amazing way to introduce an entirely unknown diety into the world :) now, imagine that diety is a prosalytizing one and grants his only "awakened" follower the ability to awaken others? heheh

joe b.

sword-dancer

Explorer
Be glad you didn`t use allosaurus.
These beast are greater and deadlier than a T-Rex, i have to use one for my Conan campaign.

Ok Ranger, Druid or maybe a variant class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads