D&D 5E Mythic Tiamat

dave2008

Legend
I'm more the type of player who gets satisfaction out of what my character accomplishes than "what can I do". Maybe that doesn't make sense, but I don't want to hijack your thread any more so I'll leave it at that.
No I get that, I am pretty much the same way. Don't worry about hijacking - I've don't that enough myself not to worry about it.

I'm not really interested in 3pp either. I never have been since I make a lot of homebrew myself. Sorry, it just strikes me as laziness on WotC's part, not cunning design, that so much is missing or unfinished. It also means that "rules" change from one group to the next because each DM can rule differently on things. Anyway, again, I'll let it go since I it's not the purpose of the thread.
No worries, everyone has their preferences.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
I thought about mimicing the Mythic Kraken's 4 hearts with Tiamat's five heads. However, I realized each time you take out a head it makes her significantly weaker and basically leads to a death spiral. It did want that for my favorite dragon goddess ;)

You could make the head regrowth after a set number of rounds. That leaves a small chance (but very small) for the 5 heads to be cut but it needs to be done quickly enough. Regrowth avoid too fast a death spiral.

NotAYakk

Legend
I like this. Give the poor players a save, though.
Sure, you get the standaed dex save for half. Either 1 save per blast, or 1 for all, uncertain. Both have workflow advantages.

A save each means you get everyone to roll 5d6, then say "anyone got a 1", roll damage and have them save. Etc.

One save for all means "ok, everyone save, DC 5 billion and 12". Then go over each damage type.

I'd have to try them out to see which flowed better.

Last edited:

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Only thing missing is an epic piece for the (virtual) tabletop.
Tiamat-Cartoon.png

Var

Explorer
Hm main weakpoint is it takes a lot of damage (no Resistance to Magical BPS) and the fairly low Initiative.
Then again - it comes back when it dies.

Main damage component appears to be the Breath, looks like the whole party will need Proficiency on Dex saves and Haste for Advantage and a way to take no damage on a success, within 30ft of a Paladin for a +5. And somehow immune to being Frightenend. And that's ignoring her 9th level Spells and Lair Actions.
Hm well.

Well aware this is by no means meant to be balanced, but CR kinda stops working on the high end doesn't it?

I'm loving Mythic traits to make CR appropriate stuff a challenge so far. CR3-10 is a lot of fun to kit out with a "Mythic Phase".

dave2008

Legend
Hm main weakpoint is it takes a lot of damage (no Resistance to Magical BPS) and the fairly low Initiative.
Then again - it comes back when it dies.
Is is basically RAW, and intended to stay within the CR 30 limit. Of course in total she has 1,230 HP plus regenerates 30 HP per round. If she last 6 rounds that would be another 180 HP for 1,410 total HP. There is the AC 25 too.

Resistance to all BPS would push her way past CR 30, which wasn't the goal here, you can get that type of stuff over at my 5e Epic Monster Updates.

Also remember she can use a legendary action immediately after who ever wins initiative (as long is it is not her).

Main damage component appears to be the Breath, .
Yes, one of the design flaws of 5e dragons, IMO, is there weak natural weapon attacks.

Well aware this is by no means meant to be balanced, but CR kinda stops working on the high end doesn't it?
All depends what you balancing it against.

I'm loving Mythic traits to make CR appropriate stuff a challenge so far. CR3-10 is a lot of fun to kit out with a "Mythic Phase".
I think so too.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Tiamat is really inconsistent in this edition. Every edition up until 5e she has been lawful evil. In 5e she is listed as lawful evil in both the PHB and DMG. Her domains change a bit in that she has trickery in the PHB and then picks up the war domain in the DMG. In rise of Tiamat she is listed as chaotic evil, it could have been a mistake that they missed except that when her details were reprinted in the Avernus book she was still chaotic. That aside, this mythic treatment is pretty rad.

Tiamat is really inconsistent in this edition. Every edition up until 5e she has been lawful evil. In 5e she is listed as lawful evil in both the PHB and DMG. Her domains change a bit in that she has trickery in the PHB and then picks up the war domain in the DMG. In rise of Tiamat she is listed as chaotic evil, it could have been a mistake that they missed except that when her details were reprinted in the Avernus book she was still chaotic. That aside, this mythic treatment is pretty rad.

I guess it really comes down to how the red head feels on any given day to create a majority...

Remove ads