Named demons

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'll admit it... i saw that, but i chose not to mention him. the name was so silly i was embarassed to mention him. ;)

grodog

Hero
grodog said:
See my last post in the other thread, btw.

My last post in that thread is at
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2678030&postcount=41

In response to it, since this seems like a better place to reply now:

grodog in Dragon Magazine 294 said:
Suggested Means of Destruction: Kuroth’s Quill is its own worst enemy, but it has managed to escape from many situations that would have surely destroyed any other artifact. Some legends suggest that if the Quill copies all of the millions of texts in Gresil’s abyssal library (Gresil is the Demon Prince of demonic lore), it will be worn down into a non-magical nub through such continuous usage. Darker tales hint that if the Quill is used to slay Delleb, god of reason, intellect, and study, that it may cease to be.

grodog

Hero
Alzrius said:
ericlboyd said:
Errtu ... Errtu first appears in "The Crystal Shard", reappears in a later novel, possibly "Passage to Dawn".

Yep, that was it.

While that may be Errtu's first literary D&D appearance, he was first published in 1979: there are several unique demons named in the 1e DMG Appendix E experience points charts (page 198). Specifically:

• Type IV: Bilwhr, Johud, Nalfeshnee
  • Type V: Aishapra, Kevokulli, Marilith, Rehnaremme
  • Type VI (remember in the 1e MM there were only 6 of these guys in existence): Alzoll, Balor, Errtu, Ndulu, Ter-soth, Wendonai

:D

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
grodog said:
While that may be Errtu's first literary DYD appearance, he was first published in 1979

When I said "that was it" I didn't mean to say that was the totality of his appearances. I was confirming that Passage to Dawn was indeed the second novel he appeared in.

ericlboyd

Explorer
grodog said:
While that may be Errtu's first literary D&D appearance, he was first published in 1979: there are several unique demons named in the 1e DMG Appendix E experience points charts (page 198). Specifically:

• Type VI (remember in the 1e MM there were only 6 of these guys in existence): Alzoll, Balor, Errtu, Ndulu, Ter-soth, Wendonai

That was sort of the point. We've been trying to weave in all the 1e named balors from the original list into Realms history. Next up Type IV and V! :)

--Eric

Rystil Arden

First Post
Grover Cleaveland said:
Hall of Heroes also mentions Phalse, a humanoid demon with the head of a beholder who disguises himself as a halfling.

Interesting guy.
Phalse also appears as an ally of Moander and others in the novel Azure Bonds, if I recall correctly.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
grodog said:

I KNOW. :)

GrayLinnorm said:
Incidentally, Nalfeshnee, Marilith, and Balor were names of specific demons. I think they were first given as names for the species in the monster list (Dungeon Monsters by Level and Frequency at that Level) in the 1e Monster Manual II. From the monster summaries in the 1e DMG:

Type IV: (Bilwhr, Johud, Nalfeshnee)
Type V: (Aishapra, Kevokulli, Marilith, Rehnaremme)
Type VI: (Alzoll, Balor, Errtu, Ndulu [also mentioned in "Treasure Trove", Dragon #91, in the entry for Demonbane], Ter-soth, Wendonai). The 1e Monster Manual says "Balor is a Type VI Demon of largest size".

Aaron L said:
WEll, I dont know of this will help, but names from the back of the 1E DM
g for demon types (maybe you could make them unique-ish balors and such?)

type IV: Bilwhr, Johud, Nalfeshnee (of course)

type V: Aishapra, Kevokulli, Rehnaremme, Marilith (of course)

type VI: Alzoll, Errtu (where Salvatore got it from), Ndulu, Ter-Soth, Wendonai, Balor (of course)

plus, i posted the same list in the "Demonic Lore" thread. ;)

grodog

Hero
BOZ said:
I KNOW. :)

plus, i posted the same list in the "Demonic Lore" thread. ;)

LOL, sorry for the duplication BOZ. Somehow, I missed those previous references. Not sure how, but I sure missed 'em :D

Remove ads