Naming Fey characters

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You all are going to get me using Shakespearean Eladrin in an upcoming game.
A gift for you, then, good sir!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Looking into the cold-climate thorny plants, some names are starting to emerge. Wild roses, Barberries and Hawthorns have popped up as being popular natural perimeter plantings on one survivalist message board.

Edit: there’s some good mystical properties & legends attached to each, too.

There’s others, too, like blackberries and salmon berries, but they’re more popular for being a food source with only modest thorniness.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I also found a list of cold-resistant herbs, and found out (with a little more digging), that Tarragon also has some mystical properties:

Soooo…going with taking a naturistic bent on the name, mysticism, giving each head its own name, and piling on aliases like Puck being aka Robin Goodfellow, I’m starting to get things like Ballantine Wildrose, Tom Tarragon and John Hawthorn.

I’m not necessarily sold on any particular name, but I’m heading in the right direction. There’s still the Slavic/Russian type names that I was considering, after all.

ruemere

Adventurer
Assuming that you have a divide of the Fey into Courts, Houses and Station, you could create elaborate naming scheme that refers to these:

I am Court-adjective Court-noun.
I am Court-verb Court-adjective Court-noun.

Station-name.

Of House-name.

For example:
(Spring Court minor clerk and devout soldier)
I am Treads Lightly Upon Petals.
I am an East Wing Guardian who Greets Unwelcome Visitors from South.
Of Third House of Swallow.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Assuming that you have a divide of the Fey into Courts, Houses and Station, you could create elaborate naming scheme that refers to these:

I am Court-adjective Court-noun.
I am Court-verb Court-adjective Court-noun.

Station-name.

Of House-name.

For example:
(Spring Court minor clerk and devout soldier)
I am Treads Lightly Upon Petals.
I am an East Wing Guardian who Greets Unwelcome Visitors from South.
Of Third House of Swallow.
Actually, I hadn’t! That’s some good stuff there, though.

To clarify: this is a PC idea I came up with that really appealed to me, so I started fleshing it out. There’s not even a 3.5Ed campaign on my radar. But if one should pop up, I’ll have this character concept ready as a potential option. So whatever the Fey hierarchy this PC would interact with depends on someone else.

Regardless, your naming convention (or something like it) could be a good way to organize the PC’s names & epithets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“Robin Goodfellow” still has me thinking. I would imagine the name is based on the bird directly, and not just the common name it became. Puck is is being compared to the (usually) welcome red-breasted bird who is a harbinger of Spring- a “good fellow” to most who want to see the end of winter.

So what birds might be good names for this PC?

I found the Gyrfalcon and several Shrikes are found in Russia.

The gyrfalcon sounds cool. It’s the biggest falcon, but it’s not as aggressive as smaller falcons, like the peregrine. Plumage ranges from almost pure white to brown. And c’mon…“Falcon” as any part of your name sounds cool!

But shrikes? They’re infamous for impaling their prey on thorns, barbed wire, snd so forth. Sometimes, their prey is bigger than they are. And this PC dual-wields rapiers. His prospective ranged weapons were all piercing, too. So thematically, “Shrike” works.

If you have any background or affiliation to nature, you could use that for part of the surname.
"______ of the crickets" is an example... and you are attuned to cricket chirping, maybe the DM allows you to know the exact temperature if you hear them (VERY MINOR perk) but you also are protective of them (VERY MINOR flaw).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you have any background or affiliation to nature, you could use that for part of the surname.
"______ of the crickets" is an example... and you are attuned to cricket chirping, maybe the DM allows you to know the exact temperature if you hear them (VERY MINOR perk) but you also are protective of them (VERY MINOR flaw).
I don’t know that I’d use it as part of the actual name, but it could definitely work as an epithet. And it would be a good way to add chaos & whimsy to the character. It would underscore his fey nature quite clearly.

Guardian of Willows?
Defender of the Cheese?
Lord High Protector of Kittens?

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Honey Bearer?
Berry-bearer?
Warden of Baby’s Breath?
Lord of Lillies?