NaNoWriMo 2023

Specifically, no editing is meant to occur in the month of November. I mean, unless you finish early, I guess.
I've never approached writing in this way before. It's also been years since I did anything approaching the scale of 50k words. Weirdly, I have a very open November assuming nothing crazy pops up. I might just have to try this.
So what's everyone looking to write?
Is it too on the nose if I write a story about the first 5e campaign I ran?;)

Reynard

Legend
Just for giggles, here is my first NaNoWriMo attempt from many years ago: Daytripper. It is a modern weird fantasy thing. Hard to describe. I was never able to go back and turn it into anything I felt deserved publication, but the process of writing it in a month was really important when I finally did write a novel I was proud of.

I mean, the book I'm 80,000 words into from last year is heavily inspired from a Pathfinder game I ran with a party of all paladins, but transposed to a Bronze Age world I've designed myself, where certain people are able to dictate divine laws into stone or clay tablets (think the Ten Commandments, or Hammurabi's Code), which have magically binding force. The main characters are beneficiaries of some of those laws, pledged to different deities, and they try to root out a nefarious plot to subvert the literal Word of God.

Reynard

Legend
It's literally never been a better time to write based on your D&D campaign. I am old enough to remember when the first and most adamant advice in all Writing Fantasy books was "Do not base your book on your D&D game." Oh, how times have changed.

Reynard

Legend
It's 1667 words per day. Some people post more than that on here in a day. Depending on how fast you type, that's 2-3 hours.
When I did mine it was about 2. I usually wrote for an hour early in the morning and then again after the house went to bed. I sacrificed sleep and gym time mostly.

Remove ads