• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural Attacks

Raspen

First Post
if a creature has a natural claw attacks and a bite and then if you raise the BAB of that creature does he get more attacks then the 3? and what would be the layout of them attacks?

Please help me. i cant seem to find the rules anywhere.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Raspen said:
if a creature has a natural claw attacks and a bite and then if you raise the BAB of that creature does he get more attacks then the 3? and what would be the layout of them attacks?
No.
SRD said:
Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.

Ambrus

Explorer
In short, no; a creature's natural attack routine is determined solely by the number of limbs/natural weapons it has.

Increasing its BAB only grants additional attacks with melee or ranged weapons. That is, if the creature made use of a melee weapon in addition to its natural attack routine then it would get more attacks with that weapon followed by the remainder of its natural weapons (excluding the limbs the creature uses to grasp its weapon) as secondary attacks.

Edit: Yeah, what Infinity said. :eek:

farscapesg1

First Post
Not to hijack the thread, but...

What if the creature has more than one natural attack? How does this affect the attack bonuses since the rules just mention a -5 attack with the secondary attack?

I am building a Shifter Scout/Barbarian/Weretouched Master (5/1/1) for an Eberron campaign I am joining. The character has an attack bonus of +9. When shifting, the character would have two claw attacks (Razorclaw trait) and a bite (Wolf animal type for the Weretouched Master class). If I still use a weapon, I can make an attack with the weapon, one claw attack, and one bite attack. Since the claw and bite attack are secondary attacks, I'm guessing that they are both at a +4 to hit (9-5).

Does two-weapon fighting have any affect on this? I know I can take Shifter Multiattack to reduce the penalty to -2 instead of -5, but I don't see where Two-weapon fighting would be any benefit to the character.

Egres

First Post
farscapesg1 said:
Does two-weapon fighting have any affect on this? I know I can take Shifter Multiattack to reduce the penalty to -2 instead of -5, but I don't see where Two-weapon fighting would be any benefit to the character.
You got it right.

TWF doesn't work with natural weapons.

D.Shaffer

First Post
It'd still be useful if you werent allowed to shift into an attack form and had to rely on manufactured weapons. Nevermind critters where you want silver, cold iron, or other special materials to get past damage resistance.

Is there any particular reason you'd want shifter multiattack instead of just multiattack though?

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
D.Shaffer said:
Is there any particular reason you'd want shifter multiattack instead of just multiattack though?
Shifter feats increase your uses per day of you shifting ability, in addition to their other effects.

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads