Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind d20 Ideas

Zoatebix

Working on it
DnDChick said:
PS. Someone needs to teach me how to use that blasted Code function! :confused:
You use "code" when you cut and paste from a source document with a font where all characters and spaces are the same width (like how the old command-prompt OSes and text editors worked) and when lining up things top to bottom matters. The tag is called "code" because computer programming language or mark-up language often fits that visual profile, I guess. Or maybe it's just done that way conventionally so that code will appear the same on any platform. Whatever - IANACS (I am not a computer scientist :p)

For things to line up right, you need to make your table in Notepad or some other text editor that's just ASCII or Unicode (I think) with no funny stuff , or with an even-spaced font like courier in a more 'modern' text editor, and then paste everything between the code tags. I guess you could count the number of characters and spaces you use in each line to get things to line up, but I find it much easier to line things up visually.

I really like the airship traits! I'll come back and contribute and discuss more soon, but I have to run!
-George

redkobold

Explorer
Yes, the traits are sweet and could easily be used for any kind of vehicle or even some type of technomancy construct.

Very cool.

Are you planning to integrate them into the pdf?

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I Will, and I will send Version 3 to you as soon as I re-scour it for trademarked names. I want to be real careful about that since I make the claim that the rules set is 100% OGC.

Look for it in the next few days.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to write new Airship Traits, please do! I don't think I really have enough to make the traits system as flexible as I'd like.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Here are some more goodies that will be going into Version 3. I tell ya, you guys really sparked my imagination on this one! THANKS! :D

Taking Off and Landing
Ordinarily taking off and landing are simple maneuvers and no Pilot checks need to be made. In other cases, dangerous crosswinds and other factors can combine to make taking off or landing a difficult prospect. The GM determines when a pilot must make a Pilot check to take off or land.

On a successful Pilot skill check, the maneuver goes smoothly. On a failed check, the Pilot can choose to abort the maneuver or keep going. If the pilot aborts the maneuver, no further Pilot checks are required and the pilot may attempt the maneuver again in 1d4+1 minutes. If the pilot chooses to keep going, the Pilot check DC increases by +2 and he must roll again. If the pilot fails any Pilot check by more than 10 the airship crashes and takes collision damage (see Collisions). A pilot cannot take 10 or 20 on a Pilot skill check to takeoff or land.

The GM can choose from or roll on Table: Takeoff and Landing Hazards to add drama to an otherwise routine maneuver.

Table: Takeoff and Landing Hazards
d% Hazard
01-50 Uneventful
76-90 Crosswind
91-95 Air Traffic
97-99 Rough Runway
100 Equipment Failure

Uneventful: The maneuver goes smoothly. No Pilot skill checks are required.
Crosswind: A strong wind is blowing across the runway or straight on. The Pilot check DC is 9 + 1d10. Since winds change frequently, if the pilot chooses to keep going the GM must once more determine the Pilot check DC.

Air Traffic: Another airship looms into view. Both pilots must roll to avoid a collision (see Collisions).

Rough Runway: The runway is in bad repair, which makes taking off or landing a rough ride. The pilot must succeed on a DC 15 Pilot check to take off or land.

Equipment Failure: It happens even to the most well-maintained airships. Some vital piece of equipment fails during the maneuver. During takeoff, the pilot can only choose abort the maneuver and must succeed on a DC 15 Pilot check to avoid crashing. On a failed Pilot check, the airship takes collision damage (see Collisions). If equipment fails during landing, the pilot can only choose to keep going. The airship must receive a DC 20 Repair check and 2d4 hours of repair time (at a cost of 1/4 the Purchase DC if the airship) before it can fly again

Short Runways
In most metropolitan areas, landing fields are usually long enough to handle even the largest of airships. In out-of-the-way places, small villages, or wilderness areas, such roomy airstrips are rare and can only easily accommodate small airships. Occasionally, a pilot must bring his airship down in less than ideal circumstances. Sometimes the pilot is under duress and must take off or land in a shorter distance even if the runway is long enough for a normal maneuver. Taking off or landing in a shorter distance is difficult and dangerous.
An airship normally requires 4 times its size in 100-foot squares to take off safely, and 8 times its size in 100-foot squares to land. On a successful DC 25 Pilot check, the pilot can take off in 3 times its size in squares and land in 6 times its size in squares.
As with all such maneuvers, the pilot can choose to abort the maneuver or keep going (see above).

For example, a Huge airship which fills 1/2 a square normally requires 2 squares to take off and 4 squares to land. The pilot can take off in 1.5 squares or land in 4.5 squares, but to do so he must succeed on a DC 25 Pilot check.

VTOL: Some airships have the VTOL (vertical take off and landing) trait. These airships do not need runways to take off or land.

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Rough Runway: The airship runway is in bad repair, which makes taking off or landing a rough ride. The pilot must succeed on a DC 15 Pilot check to take off or land.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I'm at work now with no access to the document, so I'm using this as a notepad 'til I get home.

1. Takeoff/Landing time: The first round of takeoff the ship travels at Taxi speed ... the 2nd round at 1/2 Cruising speed ... and the 3rd round and each round after that at full Cruising speed until the airship reaches its minimum takeoff distance. Landing is the reverse ... 1st round at Cruising speed, 2nd round at 1/2 cruising, 3rd and each round after that at Taxi speed until the airship's landing distance is reached.

2. While taking off or landing, the pilot cannot effectively maneuver the airship. The airship loses the pilot's Dexterity bonus, defense bonus, and synergy bonus to Defense.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
dndchick said:
2. While taking off or landing, the pilot cannot effectively maneuver the airship. The airship loses the pilot's Dexterity bonus, defense bonus, and synergy bonus to Defense.
Methinks I spy, with my little eye, an advanced class in the making...

Remove ads