Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind d20 Ideas

D_Sinclair

Banned
Banned
My boss would kill to have a license to do a Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind RPG. Unfortunately, doing so would mean Disney being involved with the approval process, leading to far more headaches than R Talsorian Games every had in their Dragonball Z approval process, where everything had to be approved by both Funimation and the original Japanese production company.

For now, he's settled on simply decorating the office in a mismatching Nausicaa/Kimagure Orange Road theme. At least the four Nausicaa models look pretty cool (Nausicaa on Mehve, Nausicaa on a horseclaw, the Valley gunship, and Nausicaa with a baby Ohmu).

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Well if he is ever ready to try to take that plunge, tell him you know someone who would sell her vital organs to be part of the project!!! :lol:

D_Sinclair

Banned
Banned
DnDChick said:
Well if he is ever ready to try to take that plunge, tell him you know someone who would sell her vital organs to be part of the project!!! :lol:

Ah! Selling those might just barely cover Disney's part of the licensing fees!

:lol:

Nice work, BTW. My boss sends his compliments as well.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Version 2 snatched.
I don't think getting the Nausicaa license would be easy or cheap, but making a generic clone might not be that hard (though I do stress the word "that").

Thanks, Erica! You rock!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thanks!

Is anyone having trouble findng that Palladium fan-written version that I mentioned earlier in the thread?

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I am also working on a system of "airship feats" that would let you personalize each airship to suit and add to the feel that they are cobbled together like something from the show Junkyard Wars.

Here are some of the idea germs for airship feats I've already cultured in the game lab that is my mind ...

Quirky Controls
This ship has been salvaged, re-salvaged, retrofitted, and jury-rigged many times. Her controls are hard to get to know, but she responds like a dream to those who know her well.

Benefit: A pilot that is unfamiliar with the controls of this airship has a -2 penalty to all Pilot checks because of their peculiar design. To become familiar with the airship a character must be the primary pilot (i.e. fly the ship 75% of the time) for 1 month.
Special: A pilot with Airship Operation (Exotic) can become familiar with this airship's controls after flying it for 10 hours and spending an Action Point.

This airship has been around for years, perhaps even centuries, and is well-known to other pilots.

Benefit: The airship gains a Reputation bonus of +3. This functions just like a character's reputation bonus.

Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Its effects stack.

What I am proposing is re-working how airships are made using a few stock airship frames (i.e. stock gunship, stock brig, etc.) and then using Airship Feats to give them weapons, armor, greater speed, greater maneuverability, etc.

What do you guys think?

If you like the idea ... post som airship feats here! :D

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
The idea germ cultures are growing. Here is what I have so far.

Airship Feats
Like characters, airships have feats. An airship has 1 feat, plus 1 per 3 HD.

BONUS FEATS
Some airships are just better-built than others. They had better initial design, better salvaged parts, and better engineers maintaining them. Each bonus feat adds +2 to the Purchase DC of the airship.

Table: Stock Airships
Code:
Size     Size Modifier     Squares     Hit Dice     Maneuverability     Hardness     Gun Points     Speed
Colossal     −8     2 or more     17d10-32d10     −4     10     16     60 mph (6 squares)
Gargantuan     −4     1     9d10-16d10     −2     8     8     80 mph (8 squares)
Huge     −2     1/2     5d10-8d10     −1     6     4     100 mph (10 squares)
Large     −1     1/3     3d10-4d10     +0     4     2     80 mph (8 squares)
Medium-size     +/-0     1/4     1d10-2d10     +1     2     1     60 mph (0 squares)

Some quickly jotted-down feat ideas ...

Aerodynamic Design
This airship is well-designed with smooth contours that help her cut through the sky.
Benefit: The airship has a +2 to Maneuverability.

Improved Aerodynamic Design
This airship is sleek, slim, and fast.
Prerequisite: Aerodynamic Design
Benefit: The airship has an additional +1 to Maneuverability and +10 mph to speed.

Overpowered Engine
The engineers shoehorned an almost too-large engine into this airship’s fuselage.
Benefit: +20 mph to speed, −2 to maneuverability

Ease of Repair
This airship is an engineer’s dream. She is well-put together and easy to fix.
Benefit: A character repairing this airship receives a +2 bonus on Repair checks

Quirky Controls
This ship has been salvaged, re-salvaged, retrofitted, and jury-rigged many times. Her controls are hard to get to know, but she responds like a dream to those who know her well.
Benefit: A pilot that is unfamiliar with the controls of this airship has a -2 penalty to all Pilot checks because of their peculiar design. To become familiar with the airship a character must be the primary pilot (i.e. fly the ship 75% of the time) for 1 month.
Special: A pilot with Airship Operation (Exotic) can become familiar with this airship's controls after flying it for 10 hours and spending an Action Point.

Old Soldier
This airship has been around for years, perhaps even centuries, and is well-known to other pilots.
Benefit: The airship gains a Reputation bonus of +3. This functions just like a character's reputation bonus.

Extra Gun Points
This airship is armed and dangerous. Many weapons bristle from her fuselage.
Benefit: The airship has an additional number of gun points as found on Table: Stock Airships.

.30 caliber machinegun: Gun Points 1.
.50 caliber machinegun: Gun Points 2.
Light Cannon: Gun Points 4.
Medium Cannon: Gun Points 6.
Heavy Cannon: Gun Points 8.

i.e. A Huge stock gunship has 4 gun points. It could have 2 .50 calibur machineguns, or 4 .30 calibur machine guns, or 1 light cannon. If the airship had 1 instance of the Extra Gun Points feat, it would have 8 gun points. It could have twice as many of each of those guns, or 1 heavy cannon, or a medium cannon and a .50 calibur machine gun ... any combination of guns adding up to 8 gun points.

Improved Armor
This airship has had extra armor plating bolted on or built in. She is tougher than other airships of her class.
Benefit: The airship’s hardness is increased by +2.

Deceptively Decrepit
This ship looks like she’s about to just fall apart, but looks can be deceiving.
Benefit: The airship has a +2 bonus on Initiative checks as enemy pilots are often taken by surprise at how well it can maneuver.
Special: The airship loses its bonus to Initiative if the opponents succeed on a reputation check to recognize the airship.

Airship Reputation
Airships can have reputations just like heroes. Reputation is used to determine whether another character (a GM character) recognizes an airship. An airship has a starting reputation of +0 (unless it has the Old Soldier airship feat). When the pilot of an airship gains a bonus to his reputation bonus, the reputation of the airship increases by the same amount.
Airship reputation functions exactly like character reputation.

Edit: Forgive the ugliness of the table ... I've never been able to get things to line up right. :\

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I am also gleaning thru the feats in the d20 Modern, d20 Future, and 3.0/3.5 SRDs to see if any can be modified for use by an airship.

This is gettin' good! :D

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
More airship feat ideas ...

Lucky
There is something uncanny about this airship's ability to get through trouble. Pilots who have flown her in the past swear that she will always bring you home.
Benefit: When spending an action point on a Pilot check while flying this airship, the pilot rolls an extra 1d4. If the roll on the 1d4 is higher than any of the 1d6 rolls, the pilot can take that result.

Boxy but Good
This airship is square and clunky-looking, but she is solid and well-built.
Benefit: This airship has a -2 to Maneuverability, but +10 bonus hit points.

Lightly Built
This airship is rather flimsy, but what she lost in protection she makes up for in speed.
Benefit: This airship has half the hardness of other airships its size, but has a +10 mph bonus to speed.

Sturdy
Multiple bracings, thick bolts, and otherwise solid construction make this airship hard to damage.
Benefit: This airship has +10 bonus hit points.

Remove ads