• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Nearly 1 Hour to play 1 Turn of 4e

Dan'L

First Post
You may just be right... damn, I think in the moment- what with all the giggling and the like that rule just passed us by...

Duly noted for next time however.

Not to worry; the boneshard skeleton's Boneshard Burst is not an immediate action. It has no listed action, but since it can trigger at 0 hp or less, it would have to be "no action," if anything were specified.

-Dan'L

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Not to worry; the boneshard skeleton's Boneshard Burst is not an immediate action. It has no listed action, but since it can trigger at 0 hp or less, it would have to be "no action," if anything were specified.

-Dan'L

Boneshard Troll Skeleton Level 11 Brute
Medium natural animate (undead) XP 600
HP 137; Bloodied 69
AC 23; Fortitude 22; Reflex 22; Will 21
Speed 6
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerability 5 radiant
Initiative +8
Perception +7
Darkvision
Standard Actions
m Scimitar (necrotic, weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +15 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 6 damage (crit 2d8 + 22)plus 10 necrotic damage. If the troll skeleton takes acid or fire damage, it does not deal necrotic damage with this attack until the end of its next turn.
m Boneshard (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: +15 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + 6 damage, and ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends).
Triggered Actions
C Boneshard Burst (necrotic)
Trigger: When first bloodied and again when the boneshard skeleton is reduced to 0 hit points.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): Close burst 3; +14 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 6 necrotic damage.
Str 16 (+8) Dex 16 (+8) Wis 14 (+7)
Con 17 (+8) Int 3 (+1) Cha 3 (+1)
Alignment unaligned:):):):):)Languages —
Equipment scimitar
Monster found in P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens and Compendium

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

It's not in P1 but it is in the Monster Builder.

Dan'L

First Post
Boneshard Troll Skeleton
C Boneshard Burst (necrotic)
Trigger: When first bloodied and again when the boneshard skeleton is reduced to 0 hit points.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): Close burst 3; +14 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 6 necrotic damage.

It's not in P1 but it is in the Monster Builder.

Hmm, that's interesting. I was looking at a straight-up B.S. Skeleton from the MM1, which has the same feature just with lower attack & damage modifiers. It does not list an action, nor are there any changes to this in any of the rules updates that I could find.

Given that no other source lists it as an immediate action & the oddness of a creature at 0hp or less taking actions, I'm tempted to ignore the Monster Builder on this one and just call it a "no action" that cannot keep the trigger from occurring.

-Dan'L

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Yeah mixed messages.

So we played tonight- and it was fantastic, but that aside I need a little more help, in the thread below I've had a crack at reviewing the damage output of the bad guys in line with MM3, if any of you get the chance I would really appreciate it if you'd take a look and put me right if need be.

I want to get this sorted asap as there's a very good chance (4 out of 5 confirmed) that we'll be going for a titanic session on Sunday in an attempt to finish it completely.

Anyway, thanks as always, and if you get chance take a look-

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-dis...ort-damage-monsters-line-mm3.html#post5314115

Cheers Goonalan

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Out of interest, did you upgrade any monsters using the MB as I outlined?

I'd be interested to hear how it went :-D

No, I tried and couldn't figure it out, I may have to admit here that I am one of the least technical people you are ever likely to meet (talk to) in your life- to the point that I have no mobile phone because I simply cannot fathom how to work them (take a moment to digest that statement- it is actually true).

So instead I just made them up on a piece of paper, I do lots of things on paper... with a pen- I have a two laptops (one Mac, one PC) and a desktop PC at home/work. The desktop I use all the time- the laptop PC I have not switched on for... two years maybe, I can't remember any of my logins/passwords et al. The Mac... oh that's a good one, I only pretend to use it at work- put things on a memory stick and go and do the work at home on the desktop and then transfer it back onto the Mac. I've been getting away with that dodge for ten years- I just plain don't understand Macs.

I am a source of much humour to my fellow lecturers, for instance I downloaded something yesterday while at work and then had to get technical support to tell me again where it was likely to be and yes they've told me a hundred times but everytime I hear the sunshine noise when my Mac awakes it effectively blanks my memory.

Now books or films, I can quote chunks of poetry, prose, lines from films, strangely I can reel off the first 30 or so elements of the periodic table and I hate chemistry... I dropped chemistry 30+ years ago.

So, I'll try again- I promise... but it frightens me a little...

Pickles JG

First Post
You may just be right... damn, I think in the moment- what with all the giggling and the like that rule just passed us by...

Duly noted for next time however.

That sort of effect should probably be a "no action" anyway - assuming the thing explodes rather than wilfully spits out shards when it's dead(bloodied). MM1 had a few of these that were probably the wrong action type

When I say going though P1 & P2 I mean literally going from page to page writing new damage epxressions into the books so I have no notes ;)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
That sort of effect should probably be a "no action" anyway - assuming the thing explodes rather than wilfully spits out shards when it's dead(bloodied). MM1 had a few of these that were probably the wrong action type

When I say going though P1 & P2 I mean literally going from page to page writing new damage epxressions into the books so I have no notes ;)

kay, worth a try though...

Cheers Goonalan

surfarcher

First Post
Well going by your new thread you are getting the hang of it! The thing with the MB is to play arouind a bit until you get the hang of it, IMHO.

Remove ads