OSR Necrotic Gnome's Dolmenwood coming to Kickstarter on August 9 (with fancy limited edition slipcase set)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I have been quite excited for Dolmenwood for months, but only as a setting for another system (Shadowdark). I'm not really interested in paying for all the rules that come with this campaign. So I guess I'm going to take a pass after all, somewhat regretfully.

darjr

I crit!
I have been quite excited for Dolmenwood for months, but only as a setting for another system (Shadowdark). I'm not really interested in paying for all the rules that come with this campaign. So I guess I'm going to take a pass after all, somewhat regretfully.
I backed. I too am going to use Shadowdark. But I’ll crib from the rules.

By rules do you mean the modified b/x or the entire monster book? The modified b/x will probably not add that much to the page count, as NG is known for economic presentation and the books are A4 size. I don't think the added page count added to the cost of the KS. As it is for $95 I'm getting three large books with good binding and 4 adventures. I tend to be critical of the price of kickstarters but I honestly don't know how they are producing all these books for that price.

reelo

Hero
What you guys say is a shame, rhough, because Gavin specifically adapted the rules to the setting. If you do choose to port it to a different system, the one thing you shouldn't do is mess with the available kindreds and classes. Adding half-orcs, or tieflings, or barbarians, paladins, warlocks, or some such, would seriously dilute the unique flavour of the setting.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What you guys say is a shame, rhough, because Gavin specifically adapted the rules to the setting.
It's still OSR. It can and will be used in a dozen different compatible systems and the differences in play likely won't matter at all to people at the table.
If you do choose to port it to a different system, the one thing you shouldn't do is mess with the available kindreds and classes. Adding half-orcs, or tieflings, or barbarians, paladins, warlocks, or some such, would seriously dilute the unique flavour of the setting.
No one suggested they were doing anything like that.

If I do end up getting Dolmenwood, my first step will be to convert all the kindreds, classes and monsters to Shadowdark, which is a pretty straightforward process. (I create new ancestries, classes, monsters and magic items for almost every session I run of Shadowdark.)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
What you guys say is a shame, rhough, because Gavin specifically adapted the rules to the setting. If you do choose to port it to a different system, the one thing you shouldn't do is mess with the available kindreds and classes. Adding half-orcs, or tieflings, or barbarians, paladins, warlocks, or some such, would seriously dilute the unique flavour of the setting.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. And, weirdly, their classes very closely parallel the classes I wanted in a campaign before I knew Dolmenwood existed:

Remove ads