• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Necrotic Gnome's Dolmenwood coming to Kickstarter on August 9 (with fancy limited edition slipcase set)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I have been quite excited for Dolmenwood for months, but only as a setting for another system (Shadowdark). I'm not really interested in paying for all the rules that come with this campaign. So I guess I'm going to take a pass after all, somewhat regretfully.

darjr

I crit!
I have been quite excited for Dolmenwood for months, but only as a setting for another system (Shadowdark). I'm not really interested in paying for all the rules that come with this campaign. So I guess I'm going to take a pass after all, somewhat regretfully.
I backed. I too am going to use Shadowdark. But I’ll crib from the rules.

By rules do you mean the modified b/x or the entire monster book? The modified b/x will probably not add that much to the page count, as NG is known for economic presentation and the books are A4 size. I don't think the added page count added to the cost of the KS. As it is for $95 I'm getting three large books with good binding and 4 adventures. I tend to be critical of the price of kickstarters but I honestly don't know how they are producing all these books for that price.

reelo

Hero
What you guys say is a shame, rhough, because Gavin specifically adapted the rules to the setting. If you do choose to port it to a different system, the one thing you shouldn't do is mess with the available kindreds and classes. Adding half-orcs, or tieflings, or barbarians, paladins, warlocks, or some such, would seriously dilute the unique flavour of the setting.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What you guys say is a shame, rhough, because Gavin specifically adapted the rules to the setting.
It's still OSR. It can and will be used in a dozen different compatible systems and the differences in play likely won't matter at all to people at the table.
If you do choose to port it to a different system, the one thing you shouldn't do is mess with the available kindreds and classes. Adding half-orcs, or tieflings, or barbarians, paladins, warlocks, or some such, would seriously dilute the unique flavour of the setting.
No one suggested they were doing anything like that.

If I do end up getting Dolmenwood, my first step will be to convert all the kindreds, classes and monsters to Shadowdark, which is a pretty straightforward process. (I create new ancestries, classes, monsters and magic items for almost every session I run of Shadowdark.)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
What you guys say is a shame, rhough, because Gavin specifically adapted the rules to the setting. If you do choose to port it to a different system, the one thing you shouldn't do is mess with the available kindreds and classes. Adding half-orcs, or tieflings, or barbarians, paladins, warlocks, or some such, would seriously dilute the unique flavour of the setting.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. And, weirdly, their classes very closely parallel the classes I wanted in a campaign before I knew Dolmenwood existed:

Remove ads