• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a name for this class

ZuulMoG

First Post
Given that the Ranger class was lifted whole cloth from Tolkien, I see no reason not to name this class Ranger, and the RAW Ranger something different, Hunter being the choice I'd lean toward.

I do wonder at removing so many class abilities and replacing them with so little. You've taken away the Animal Companion, Evasion, Hit Die, the spells, the Favored Enemies, Ranger Combat Specialization, Woodland Stride and Wild Empathy, and replaced them with three bonus feats in the first two levels. Not exactly a fair trade. Also, why are Heal and Knowledge: Nature absent from the skill list? And Disable Device, Bluff, and Gather Info? For a 'purist' ranger/tracker?

If your intention in your game is to make sure no one ever plays a ranger, you're certainly going about it the right way. Have you nerfed all of the other classes too to keep them balanced?

I would suggest retaining Favored Enemy (at least one), the skills, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride and the 10-sided HD. Since there's no Combat styles to be adversely affected by Heavy or Medium Armor, proficiency in Medium armor ought to be added to starting feats as well. I would also suggest increased movement rate like Barbarians enjoy to replace the Animal Companion. Allowing for increased movement speed while using stealth would also help to balance the class.

(All of this assumes you want PCs to consider the class. If you only want NPCs to be rangers, then don't change a thing.)

Last edited:

Oates

First Post
ZuulMoG said:
I do wonder at removing so many class abilities and replacing them with so little. You've taken away the Animal Companion, Evasion, Hit Die, the spells, the Favored Enemies, Ranger Combat Specialization, Woodland Stride and Wild Empathy, and replaced them with three bonus feats in the first two levels. Not exactly a fair trade. Also, why are Heal and Knowledge: Nature absent from the skill list? And Disable Device, Bluff, and Gather Info? For a 'purist' ranger/tracker?

I do need to place Heal and Knowledge: Nature in the skill list. Will also place the Woodland Stride ability.

ZuulMoG said:
If your intention in your game is to make sure no one ever plays a ranger, you're certainly going about it the right way. Have you nerfed all of the other classes too to keep them balanced?

There will be no standard Ranger, only prestige ranger from UA (modified)

ZuulMoG said:
I would suggest retaining Favored Enemy (at least one), the skills, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride and the 10-sided HD. Since there's no Combat styles to be adversely affected by Heavy or Medium Armor, proficiency in Medium armor ought to be added to starting feats as well. I would also suggest increased movement rate like Barbarians enjoy to replace the Animal Companion. Allowing for increased movement speed while using stealth would also help to balance the class.

Opps forgot to add basic feats like armor and weapons... add weapons: simple, weapons: martial, light armor, medium armor, shield

The class is for those who cannot for what ever reason attain any of the prestige ranger groups.

ZuulMoG said:
(All of this assumes you want PCs to consider the class. If you only want NPCs to be rangers, then don't change a thing.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads