Need an alternative to D&D.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
All of the things you listed except downtime. There can be downtime but that's easily handled in any system. You just say "Three weeks later..." ;) Yes, a story I run can have a lot of politicking, role-playing, social maneouvering and investigation. Very often the players will try to manipulate people into being where they want or doing what they want, they will seek out allies to help them defeat particular threats. When a combat happens, it's often semi-planned out by the players. If they know that the baron is their enemy, they're not going to march up to his castle and barge in the front door - my players would think that the height of stupidity. They're going to try and lure him to a ball or find out when he's riding out in his carriage, etc. So you see whilst I can do a lot to tweak how an encounter will play out, the game leans substantially towards low numbers of encounters and I'm also expecting it to lean towards solos more than I'm starting to get the impression some people's games do as well. Not saying dungeon crawls wont or don't happen - my players are currently tolerantly following an obvious rail-road, but I got their buy in with that because it's a new campaign in a new system and they know I need time to build up the setting and a roster of NPCs and guide them into the world I'm building. However, long term I expect them to revert to seeing combat as a means to an end rather than an end itself. I.e. if it can be side-stepped or circumstances tweaked to shift the odds wildly in their favour, they're going to do it. And why wouldn't they?

I want something that roughly equates to D&D default in terms of magic prevalence and power. My setting is North European Medieval for the most part, with magic being known, practiced but not routine. Earthdawn might be interesting. Ars Magica I like but it's not good for mundanes.

There was a game I got a long time back which I never ran called Iron Heroes. I don't know how well it plays but it had interesting ideas and classes. It was a very low magic setting, though.
If you want a low magic D&D, look no further than Low Fantasy Gaming RPG friend, it will cure what ails you.

Last edited:

Depends on what you mean by 'limited' there were fewer restrictions than ever on using magic, including having at-will spells & rituals exempt from the D&D tradition of daily memorization.

4e magic-using classes were balanced with non-magic-using ones to an unprecedented degree, though, and impactful effects like flight & invisibility were pushed out to higher levels - so I can understand the perception.

4e magic certainly qualifies on that count.

Yeah, it is pretty highly subjective, and you pretty much hit exactly what my perceptions are about it. I actually liked the introduction of at-wills and interesting combat control spells. Just didn't like how many of the higher level spells (including non-combat spells) felt either nerfed or non-existent (and I'm including rituals).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Just didn't like how many of the higher level spells (including non-combat spells) felt either nerfed or non-existent (and I'm including rituals).
'Nerfed' I can certainly understand, magic was taken down several pegs, almost enough to be genuinely balanced with the greatly expanded martial options - I just agreed with it, since, with magic having gotten easier and safer with every ed, toning it down was long overdue.
But were that many classic spells ultimately cut? I know Wish was (it eventually re-appeared on an artifact scroll or something), for obvious reasons as it's always been problematic. What'd you say the, maybe, top 5 spells you missed were?

pemerton

Legend
But were that many classic spells ultimately cut? I know Wish was (it eventually re-appeared on an artifact scroll or something)
I used a Ring of (one) Wish in my 4e game before that supplement was published. The mechanics of Wish (at least its pre-3E version) aren't so complicated that you can't just bring it back if you want it!

(That won't give it to PCs as a castable spell, but how many 18th level MU PCs have people actually played, pre-3E?)

The experienced D&D players in my game were wary of "over-wishing" - they used the item to make it impossible for anyone in a baronial hall to be blinded for the next 5 minutes, which then let them survive against, and defeat, an enemy who had many blinding effects.

'Nerfed' I can certainly understand, magic was taken down several pegs, almost enough to be genuinely balanced with the greatly expanded martial options - I just agreed with it, since, with magic having gotten easier and safer with every ed, toning it down was long overdue.
But were that many classic spells ultimately cut? I know Wish was (it eventually re-appeared on an artifact scroll or something), for obvious reasons as it's always been problematic. What'd you say the, maybe, top 5 spells you missed were?

My books are packed for a move, so I can only give general impressions. The way flight was reduced to hovering above the ground was one thing I didn't like. I was okay with teleportation circles, but the old plane shift to a random location on another plane is one of my favorite things in D&D. I don't remember the polymorph sorts of stuff working the same. The attack spells were usually fine, it's more of the upper level utility sorts of spells that didn't make it in that I always think of as D&D.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The way flight was reduced to hovering above the ground was one thing I didn't like. I don't remember the polymorph sorts of stuff working the same.
The only thing I can think of that fits that description of 'reduced to hovering over the ground' would have been the ground-effect pixies in one of the last post-Essentials books (and the pixie was rather silly, across the board, but it did turn out to be fun in the long run). 4e dealt with the abuse of flight/invisibility/polymorph/etc in 3.x by 'nerfing' (as mentioned above) them, both by making them less broken and/or harder to use, and by pushing them to higher levels. Virtually the only example of flight at first level was the pixie, and it did have the laughable altitude limit - other heroic level flight effects only lasted for a turn or two or required you to land at the end of the action. By paragon, full flight became increasingly available. Invisibility and Polymorphic, OTOH got nerfed all the way back to something resembling classic Invisibility, Change Self & Polymorph Self. Invisibility mostly precluded attacking (and/or any standard action), much as in the olden days, and most shapechanging effects were cosmetic (didn't change size or other abilities), or (again) precluded attacking while changed. Interesting exceptions included the primal Druid & Warden classes, with shapechanging built into their power sets. So, 'nerfed' (compared to 3.x, profoundly), sure, and mechanically different (ditto), of course, but not exactly absent.

I was okay with teleportation circles, but the old plane shift to a random location on another plane is one of my favorite things in D&D.
I hadn't thought about the old plane-shift's inconvenient arrival mechanism in many years. I suppose 4e lessened that down side when it used the teleport circle conceit for planar portal, as well (plane shift, meanwhile, changed to a vehicle-based ritual, IIRC).

The attack spells were usually fine, it's more of the upper level utility sorts of spells that didn't make it in that I always think of as D&D.
It's funny the spells we miss, sometimes. I quite missed Shocking Grasp in 4e, and, when I designed a stereotypical fire-mage sorceress in 3.0, I quite missed the lowly Affect Normal Fires. ;)

knasser

First Post
Thanks for ALL of the replies. It's more than I expected and has been extremely helpful. I didn't mean to abandon the thread for so long but work has taken up a lot of time this past week or so. Everything was read with interest, but I'll just pick out the following to reply to...

Don't listen to those people. Like, at all. I've been running a 5E campaign for two years, and I've literally never run an alleged "adventuring day". One encounter per day works fine. You have to understand what will challenge your PCs in those circumstances, of course, but that's true of any system. Dungeons? In my campaign there have been three. And that's a deliberate attempt by me to run more dungeons than I usually do. And range? Of course you should let your PCs come up with strategic ideas to control how encounters emerge.

The system is bare-bones not because these assumptions are baked into it, because (insofar as it's possible) they didn't want any assumptions baked into it. 5E is supposed to be the "do whatever you want with it" edition. Now, if you still feel like it's failed at that because of actual rules you don't like -- you mentioned Perception and AC? -- then by all means, give some of the other systems in this thread a look. Some of them are very good too. But for the love of all that is Good, don't be put off by self-proclaimed experts on the internet. They ruin everything.

You're right. I did allow myself to be put off somewhat by some posters here. Oddly it wasn't the people making criticisms of the 5e system that started me looking at other options, it was those who kept attacking such criticism with "you're playing it wrong" style responses. But nonethelss, you're right it's worth evaluating more myself. That said, whilst I'm out of time to replace it for this week's game and we'll be continuing with 5e a little longer, I am starting to find it not quite to my taste. I like much of it but it's also something of a two steps forward one step back affair for me. Again, a personal opinion based on my own preferences. Having followed up on some of the suggestions here, I actually am finding things out there I think I might enjoy running more. I don't think 5e is awful or anything - please don't think I do. But there's a lot of good stuff out there too.

Not edition warring here, but I'm just not thinking of 4e as a good fit when I read the OP. Am I missing something?

Not really. I mean 4e is so right in some ways, but so problematic in others. I'm sure I'm far from unique in that. I did actually look at running 4e when it came out and from a balance perspective it was sublime. I also found the built in background - points of light, the way they did the gods, the planar structure... wonderful. But at the time a number of things were show-stoppers for me. It seemed unplayable without a grid (ironically I'm now using a grid), it seemed to focus everything on combat and had the barest bones for non-combat and worst was the way mechanics seemed to divorce entirely from in-game meaning. The halfling is a fighter? Well they'll have 20 strength and arm-wrestle the minotaur cleric to the ground. That old grey-bearded wizard is 15th level? Well then they'll be bouncing up and down the mountain side like a frisky goat because that's how level bonus works whilst the strapping young peasant man will be out of breath and tumbling to his death. And other things... 4e was always the edition that I wished I could run. It was so perfect in so many ways, but everything was sacrificed on the alter of sacred balance. Sword of Spirit mentioned the Flight spell which is interesting because that's one of the things that really hammered home to me why I didn't feel I could run 4e. It was so clearly written to prevent a player finding anything special or clever to do with it, and basically a high-powered bounce ability. 4e was the closest I've ever come to running D&D until the last month where my group asked me to run a fantasy game for a change. I've mellowed on some of my objections to 4e from back then but I looked at it again recently and felt it wasn't the answer this time around.

Now I've had a chance to read more, you want to give Burning Wheel a serious look. It's made of awesome for the campaign you just described.

I've heard of this, never knew what it was. I've now read through the Wikipedia entry and their website. I'm going to pass this one by unless you tell me I'm wrong in my impressions; but it seemed a little simple and it also seemed very focused on co-operative story-telling and rolls where players determined how NPCs would behave, resources available, etc. That's pretty much the polar opposite of my GM'ing style. I am very much a GM who creates a world and then tries to distance themself from it and let it unfold as it naturally would. Burning Wheel seems to be one of those games where the dice create a story for you all together as friends. That's utterly not me. I hate players. Players are the enemy. My job as GM is to set up a world where by default they will die and their job as players is to frustrate me in my desires. ;) Do not let the fact that I run a lot of social, politicking and investigation elements in my game deceive anyone into thinking I want to share my world-creating power! Diplomacy is just combat without a grid! ;)

You might check out Low Fantasy Gaming RPG. It's a more dangerous/gritty/low magic d20 variant. Pretty easy to increase the magic level if you wish. Formal Party Retreat and improvised chase rules mean you dont have to worry about "balanced encounters" so much, and it has unified refresh mechanics (not different classes refreshing at different rates).

Free PDF (in my sig), or print via Lulu.

Edit - it also addresses some of your other concerns - the "long rest" is 1d6 days, so you can wilderness adventure with only the occasional battle between days, and you wont get the whole party nova-ing, because they dont automatically get refreshed the next dawn.

This was interesting. I looked at it following your suggestion (and the other poster). It's charming, I liked the layout and presentation of the PDF and I especially liked subtle references to F. W. Morganstern's great work and Big Trouble in Little China. It seemed good but I don't think I could actually replace D&D with it because there are too many elements of D&D that it has (purposefully) stripped. Higher level play is gone along with higher level magic. Classes are pared down to the essentials and gone are paladins, warlocks, et al. Even something I could reskin as these things. So whilst I thought it was a fun little system, it didn't fit my needs.

My books are packed for a move, so I can only give general impressions. The way flight was reduced to hovering above the ground was one thing I didn't like. I was okay with teleportation circles, but the old plane shift to a random location on another plane is one of my favorite things in D&D. I don't remember the polymorph sorts of stuff working the same. The attack spells were usually fine, it's more of the upper level utility sorts of spells that didn't make it in that I always think of as D&D.

I actually thought 4e did a very good job of addressing this with its rituals system. As a GM I thought that looked pretty liberating - I could just make up a ritual, give it whatever timing or ingredients I felt like if I wanted to restrict use, and then apply whatever I wanted. An overland flight ritual? Sure, not a problem! 4e didn't seem to care much what abilities people had so long as they couldn't break the combat system. ;)

SAVAGE WORLDS :)
Tons of genres and the game is very balanced.

I've heard of this one, never looked at it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look.

Anyway, after all the replies, which have been interesting, I should say that I've been following a recommendation from early on and looking into the Hero system. It's, well... quite something. People weren't kidding when they said there was a lot of front-loaded work. But they also weren't wrong when they said it plays pretty quickly and elegantly once you start play. Usually a system leans towards being simple and light or more complex and heavy. Hero is unique in my experience in that it's simple and heavy. That's not a criticism, it's a complement. I should explain what I mean. The core approach is very simple and very consistent. Learning it wont take more than an hour or so. It's elegant and thus fairly easy to learn and balance. But then so are systems like Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space. What it also has are copious listings of powers and circumstances based on upon that simple core and that's new.

Anyone who has read this far through my post will have picked up that I am a fantastically picky and perfectionist person. Of the recommendations, Hero seems to be the only one that will satisfy my obsessiveness. I'm still getting a feel for it and the work required to make a D&D clone out of it is not trivial. However, it has a number of elements that I'm finding much to my tastes. Endurance as a core mechanic pleases me - I like the notion of different characters being able to battle on through slowly depleting reserves of stamina. Hit locations could be more elegantly implemented but I do like the idea of a bit more grittiness to combat. It's certainly capable of managing high level magic and whilst some of it is fiddly, it's pretty capable. For example, one of the first things I did to try and get my head around the system was to create a magic item. In this case, a flaming long-sword that exhausts the wielder over time (costs endurance each round it's used) but burns the wielder's foes and dazzles those who try to attack her in hand to hand. Making ports of D&D monsters seems relatively easy. I'm currently toying with creating different classes as templates, e.g. warlock, paladin, fighter, etc. If I can find a little time to do this, I will probably post it somewhere as a D&D conversion for Heroes.

In any case, unless the perfect system falls into my lap unexpectedly, I'm going to try and see what I can come up with in Hero 6e whilst the campaign carries on a little longer with D&D 5e. Really appreaciate so many helpful replies!

K.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm still getting a feel for it and the work required to make a D&D clone out of it is not trivial.

It isn't, but if you get a feel for the system, it should speed up.

When I ran D&D sims in HERO 4th, I used Fantasy HERO and Ultimate Martial Artist* as pretty much my sole supplements. Fantasy HERO has stats for a bunch of weapons & armor, familiar spells and for "package deals"** for the more common versions of your typical fantasy races, like Orcs, Dwarves and Elves.

Ultimate Martial Artist does a lot of things, but it's main feature to me is that it adds a few dozen martial arts maneuvers to the base list. To clarify, the HERO martial arts system is not like D&D's, which seperates melee into unarmed vs armed combat. Instead, there are just maneuvers to be learned, most of which can be used with weapons if the PC has spent XP to do so. Every PC knows the basics- haymakers, dodges, etc.- but all the rest comes via training.

All that said, even as a HEROphile, I would also reiterate you look at GURPS (plus it's magic and martial arts supplements) and M&M with the W&W and Book of Magic supplements. Both of those other systems should do a good job of scratching the itch with more flexible mechanics.

* 5Ed had versions of those as well, but I'm not sure about an Ultimate Martial Artist for 6th.

** a "package deal" is just a HERO term for a group of stats, skills, powers, disadvantages etc., typical of a particular group. Across HERO supplements, there are package deals for policemen, thugs, agents of certain organizations, fantasy or alien races, classifications of robot types, etc. I think they're also called "templates" in 6th.

Last edited:

I've heard of this, never knew what it was. I've now read through the Wikipedia entry and their website. I'm going to pass this one by unless you tell me I'm wrong in my impressions; but it seemed a little simple and it also seemed very focused on co-operative story-telling and rolls where players determined how NPCs would behave, resources available, etc. That's pretty much the polar opposite of my GM'ing style. I am very much a GM who creates a world and then tries to distance themself from it and let it unfold as it naturally would. Burning Wheel seems to be one of those games where the dice create a story for you all together as friends. That's utterly not me. I hate players. Players are the enemy. My job as GM is to set up a world where by default they will die and their job as players is to frustrate me in my desires. ;) Do not let the fact that I run a lot of social, politicking and investigation elements in my game deceive anyone into thinking I want to share my world-creating power! Diplomacy is just combat without a grid! ;)
If that's your style, definitely check out GURPS. The system for people who think hand-holding is for infectious diseases.

Remove ads