• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need an interesting barbarian idea

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I always wanted to make a character loosely based on Tarzan.

Perhaps this Barbarian spent his entire life among the animals, and so has adopted their way of fighting. Take feats like (Improved) Bull Rush, Improved Trip, and grapple a lot. Oh, yes, and pick a few "savage" weapon to act as your "fang". ;)

ForceUser

Explorer
Gnome said:
I don't mind mixing with other classes, so long as at least half the levels are barbarian, and that the character is still a front-line fighter (which, as far as I know, no-one else wants to play at the moment).
human barbarian 5/rogue 5 (Feats: Dodge, Cleave, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack)--concept: the spring-attacking, sneak-attacking, power-attacking, greatsword-wielding, raging barbarian

human barbarian 5/bard 5 (Special Abilities: whirling frenzy rage variant from Unearthed Arcana; Feats: Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), Improved Trip, Power Attack)--concept: the inspire courage-singing, tripping-then-attack-of-opportunity power-attacking, whirling dervish barbarian

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some multiclassing ideas

Unusual Barbarian Roles:

The Shaman, educator of Chieftans, healer of the people- Barbarian/Druid, Barbarian/Cleric or Barbarian/Sorcerer

The Diplomat speaking eloquently about just how his Chieftan will be using the skulls of invaders as soup bowls- Barbarian/Druid, Barbarian/Cleric, Barbarian/Bard

The Promised One who will lead his people to greater glory- Barbarian/Druid, Barbarian/Sorcerer, Barbarian/Ranger, Barbarian/Fighter, Barbarian/Soulknife or Barbarian/Psionic Warrior

The Skald who sings the songs of heroism to inspire his allies or impress his foes- Barbarian/Bard

The Keeper of Tribal Histories, including past slights and insults, and tribal boundaries, he decides when to advise a Chief to go to war...- Barbarian/Bard, Barbarian/Cleric, Barbarian/Druid, Barbarian/Ranger

The Hidden Hand of Kord, an infiltrator who gathers intelligence or smites enemies at any time, anywhere- Barbarian/Ranger, Barbarian/Rogue, Barbarian/Bard, Barbarian/Soulknife or Barbarian/Psionic Warrior.

Remember- Bards can cast spells in light armor...meaning as time goes by, he could use something as good as a Mithril Breastplate for armor while still casting without ASF, and Divine spellcasting and Psionic Abilities are completely unaffected by armor.

Clerical Domains that work well with barbarians: Any elemental, Travel, Strength, Animal, Plant, Destruction, Death, Good, Healing, Chaos.

Weapons I like for barbarians- Lt or Hvy Flail, Greatspear, Maul, Warmace, Greataxe, Dwarven Waraxe, Longbow, Morningstar, Greatsword, Spiked Shield, Spiked Gauntlet.

Feats I like for barbarians: The Power Attack Feat Tree, Monkey Grip, 2wf, Improved Shield bash, IUC, the Expertise Feat tree, XWP (Maul, Dwarven Waraxe, Warmace, or Greatspear), Combat Reflexes, Oversized 2wf, Extend Rage, Extra Rage, and whatever that one that lets you cast spells while raging are all cool with me.

Last edited:

Breakstone

First Post
The two ideas I love are these:

Lord Greystoke barbarian (aka Tarzan): His parents died on a trip in the jungle, leaving him at the mercy of a band of semi-intelligent monsters that raised him like one of their own. He trains in their ways, learning rather primitive survival techniques, gaining a god-like physique and the hunting skills to go with it. Then he's "discovered" by a long-lost relative. Takes him back to the Civilized World, teaches him how to survive in the city, how to dress and talk and invest. So you've got this total Bruce Wayne city type in his fancy clothes and top hat who can strip down to a loin cloth and a moment's notice and kill a lion with his bear hands.

Cage of Bones barbarian: The character's tribe is dying, and he's being sent out into the world to bring back the cure (or something like that). He goes through a ritual involving fire and sacrifice and all that good stuff that imbibes him with great combatant abilities, including the power to fly into a rage when needed. It turns out that the ritual actually possessed him with a bit of the tribe's god, a powerful demon banished to the Material Plane (or something like that) long ago. So now the character must contend with his new powers while shushing the voice in his head that's telling him to kill, kill, kill.

Gnome

First Post
There's some great ideas here ... thanks guys.

I had an idea for a barbarian/scout mix that would wear light armor, and make heavy use of his extra movement (+20') and the tumble skill, but I realized that you can't tumble while raging. :(

TheLe

First Post
barbarians!

[imager]http://www.thele.com/thelegames/images/tn/UnorthodoxBarbarians_tn200w.jpg[/imager]
I have a book out called Unorthodox Barbarians.

you can find it at the Enworld Gamestore or rpgnow.com.

The book contains 5 alternate Barbarian classes, chalk-full of cool stuff. Really, just tons of new abilities. There's a demo on the rpgnow link I posted above. (My favorite class is the one I co-wrote, the Savage Screamer!)

What the heck... email me, Gnome, and I will fire off a free copy to you.

`Le

satori01

First Post
One intresting idea would be to say the source of your barbarians power is an evil spirit that has been imprisoned inside you. Perhaps the spirit was plaguing your village/town/city/discotech etc and inorder to banish it they had to bind it to a person .

Pretty good catch for the tortued hero archtype, you know the guy
that hates evil, and has a powerful evil inside him, but try to use those powers for good, without being corrupted.

TheLe

First Post
Got your email, Gnome.

I fired off Unorthodox Barbarians to you. And I also sent you a free copy of 17 Magic Hats & Helmets, so that you can equip your bad boy!

Hooah!

`Le

Available now at the Enworld Gamestore and rpgnow.com!
17wondrousitems_200x260.jpg

dougmander

Explorer
Barbarian/rogue, a la Conan in full thieving mode -- a wanderer from a distant land who isn't above a little larceny if it comes his way, especially if its a fabled gem in a high tower guarded by a giant serpent. He often finds himself forced by evil wizards into stealing artifacts they covet, either because he owes them a debt or they have some power or hold over him.

Rockwolf66

First Post
Ok looking quickly I never saw one of my more interesting ideas.

a Wild Elf Barbarian.

it's rather funny to see the reaction when someone thought to take advantage of the "Flimsy Elf Chick".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads