New 13th Age 'Escalation Edition' Coming Next Year!

There's a new version of 13th Age coming! Pelgrane Press announced at Gen Con that the 13th Age 'Escalated Edition' will be coming to Kickstarter next year. It will be backwards compatible with the current game. They'll be starting a playtest program very soon, which they are inviting game groups to join. 13th Age was released in 2013, designed by Rob Heinsoo (D&D 4E) and Jonathan Tweet (D&D...

There's a new version of 13th Age coming! Pelgrane Press announced at Gen Con that the 13th Age 'Escalated Edition' will be coming to Kickstarter next year. It will be backwards compatible with the current game. They'll be starting a playtest program very soon, which they are inviting game groups to join.

13th Age was released in 2013, designed by Rob Heinsoo (D&D 4E) and Jonathan Tweet (D&D 3E), and is a 'variant' of D&D.

13a.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Disappointed that Jonathan Tweet is coming back after Pelgrane said they dropped him after his fun little "race science" tweets.
People really still parroting this lie? Come on.

Arilyn

Hero
I'm disappointed Tweet is coming back because of his work on D&D 3rd edition quite frankly.

Can we get a Kickstarter for 14th Age by Heinsoo and Logan Bonner?
Tweet is not working on 3rd. He is working on 13th Age. Tweet has a wide variety of game designs under his belt including Ars Magica, Everway, Talisanta and Over the Edge. These are all vastly different games. Tweet does not just redo 3rd edition over and over. He has, in fact, only worked on 3e once. 😊

Longspeak

Adventurer
I'm torn. I'm a big fan of the epic, a big believer that PCs should be the HEROES of the story, and lover of all the games that let this happen. 13th Age is a great example of this.

But... well... Rob Heinsoo was... awful to someone I know.... Someone who worked for him. He doesn't deserve my money.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Disappointed that Jonathan Tweet is coming back after Pelgrane said they dropped him after his fun little "race science" tweets.

The information above does not say that Tweet is coming back. It says he designed the previous version.

Eric V

Hero
Super excited, though in our group after years of play we found that it was the monk that was a bit weak and the fighter that shone!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The following snippet seems to imply that Tweet will be back:

Yeah, but who is that person? Random, non-official folks leaving notes on Discord is not what I'd call reliable reporting.

Folks should seek official confirmation of that before deciding what to do about it.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yeah, but who is that person? Random, non-official folks leaving notes on Discord is not what I'd call reliable reporting.

Folks should seek official confirmation of that before deciding what to do about it.
For sure. I'll add that, personally, I don't have anything against Tweet and, as one of the two original designers, I'd prefer if he was involved.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The only thing surprising about this is that it's taken this long to get a revised edition of the game. After playing it myself for nearly 10 years now there are definitely a lot of small things that could use updating.

I only hope that they keep some of the classes simple. There's been a real tendency in the new classes that they've released over the years to keep upping the complexity and while that's fine having some classes that are just "pick a Talent at each tier" is really useful for the players who are put off by mechanical complexity getting in the way of playing the character they want to play. Having a range of complexity in the various classes has been good for my table at least as everyone can kind of find a class they want to play.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads