3PP Release New 3PP release: Thematic Toolkit: Judge, Jury, and Executioner!

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
The new season of Thematic Toolkit releases has begun! To kick off season 2, we've got berserker/herald/warlock as the three classes covered. The theme this month is law, justice, and punishment.

Berserkers can become an Executioner who make dealing death into a terrifying spectacle!

Heralds can become Vindicators, tireless hunters of those who have done great wrongs!

Warlocks can become Adjudicators, adherents to some form of higher law that governs reality itself!

And of course there are synergy feats to cover all three two-class combinations of berserker, herald, and warlock that are fully generic and work well with these arechetypes or any others you may want to use.

The extra for this bigger release is a pair of new backgrounds—Hangman and Judge—to help make characters deeply connected to the world of law and justice. $6, and available right now!
TT_Judge_Jury_and_Executioner_final_cover.png

Timespike

As a side note: this thing is big and it is elaborate. A lot of really cool expansions of existing class features (new Furious Critical options, for example) found their way into the design this month. Some exciting build possibilities!

Timespike

So in this TT, you have Judge and Hangman backgrounds. In MoAR 2, you have Lawyer.

Man, I can definitely see a party based around those three backgrounds alone.
And don't forget the Guard in the Adventurer's Guide. I'd consider those four to basically be a "full set."

Pedantic

Legend
I got most excited about the synergy feats here, especially the herald/warlock line, which feels like a really fun character premise to work through.

I find a very minor typo in the second bullet for Cosmic Fury if you're going back for a second pass in future:

While you are raging, the first time on you hit with an attack on your turn, you can spend spell points to bolster your damage.

Last edited:

Timespike

Ah, yep. I'll throw that in a revisions document. "on your turn" was originally in front of the bit about hitting with an attack ... which I fixed for clarity ... and missed a word when I did so. Whoops!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So in this TT, you have Judge and Hangman backgrounds. In MoAR 2, you have Lawyer.

Man, I can definitely see a party based around those three backgrounds alone.
D&D Legal. You need a law enforcement side too though, if you want to go full CSI D&D.

Timespike

Also: I'm with you herald/warlock. That can go one of three ways, IMHO, and all of them are really interesting.
The first is that you match the flavor of both classes up in a way that's complimentary (so for example a Holy Champion herald and a Glorified warlock (kind of a celestial warrior type), or a Green Knight herald and Spellbound warlock (which is probably heavily associated with the fey). That implies a very strong and internally-consistent ethos for the character, but some diverse and divergent training, so that's fun to play with.

The second is you mix archetypes that aren't complimentary, but aren't necessarily in conflict, either. So you take that Holy Champion herald and mix it with something like the Mortalist, which certainly doesn't have to be evil, but is definitely outside the proverbial wheelhouse of the character. Now you've got this really rich and diverse combination of traits and an implied very interesting story about what made this person pursue these paths.

The last one is that you pick archetypes that are in direct conflict with each other. Continuing to use the Holy Champion, this would be mixing with something like the Diabolist. Now you're wondering what the heck happened, how these two loyalties are held in tension, and possibly have some serious drama from various authority figures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases