D&D 4E New 4e Info! GAMA Tradeshow Scoop

med stud

First Post
Fifth Element said:
I am overjoyed, in fact, that hit points are no longer just physical wounds, mechanically. I think the real problem in that case is how it's described. It says your weapon is imbued with healing energy, or whatever. This goes against the morale-boosting interpretation.

So much of my problem is that there may be a whole lot of the flavour/description text for divine powers I'll just have to ignore completely.
It doesn't have to be so binary that it's all physical injuries or all morale and fighting spirit, it can easily be both. When you are low in HP you are bruised, you have used up your glycogen, you are dead tired, can hardly lift your arms, and so on. You may even have an arrow in your chest or have been stabbed.

In that case, both classic healing that closes wounds can help you, as can someone urging you onward or giving you hope or motivation.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Yeah, this. I've got about as much interest in Eberron and Faerun being linked as I do in seeing the Doctor's TARDIS appear on CSI, or someone trying to make an official, canonical Star Wars/Spider-man crossover.

Aww c'mon! Spidey wearing a special Tony Stark designed spider suit so he can withstand the rigors of space, swing around on webs he has shot to the bottom of Imperial destroyers, shooting webs at TIE fighters so they can't see and crash...

Yeah this is way too easy for me ;)

EDIT:Oh yeah, don't forget the X-Men/Star Trek crossover.

Last edited:

vladbat

First Post
Fifth Element said:
Hold on. Does this power mean that if an ally 5 squares away is targeted with a melee attack, you can get hit by the attack instead? How am I supposed to explain that in-game?

I would describe it as a channel between you and the target being opened up. Your ally make actually takes the hit but through an empathic divine energy bond you absorb all of the damage and effects of it. Think Raven in the Teen Titans comics. She was a healer who had to absorb the damage and then heal herself, she didn't directly heal others. (Although her power sources was closer to infernal for a long time.)
This concept works with the weapon strike well too. I take this from you and being an unselfish Hospitaler pass this energy on to my ally.
As for the whole bag of rats argument any DM can kill that easy. "Those rats aren't enemies! You've been carrying them for 2 days. They are now pets!" Same with the troll "He has ceased to be an enemy, he is now a prisoner. If you want to climb into that pit with him you can make him an enemy again but keep in mind he hasn't fought anyone for a long time and will be as fresh as if he had a daily rest. Oh and since I gave you xp for trapping him you won't be getting any again."

SSquirrel

Explorer
Revinor said:
Obviously, I don't expect any DM to allow such misuse of the power. But from what I see currently, it is bit broken (same way as Whirlwind+Great Cleave was in case of bag of rats) and I don't like things which are broken from very start. I still think that many players may pull off 'accidentally' delaying end of combat to get more uses of this power. Yes, it would require metagame thinking, but I strongly prefer in-game rules which are in line with metagame level, not against it.

This is like making a 100 meter race for Olympic games and say to the runners they will get 10000$ for each second spend on track. Some people will run for the win, others will take few hours to reach the goal...

What about enchanting a bow and shooting at regenerating troll kept inside deep pit? ;)

Too bad a bag of rats a player carries doesn't count as "enemies" in my book. Gully dwarf food maybe

hennebeck

First Post
Life-Giving Smite • Hospitaler Attack 20
You ? your weapon with radiant power, and as you strike at a foe the power of the attack heals an ally.
Daily • Divine, Healing Radiant, Weapon
Standard Action • Melee Weapon
Target: One Creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Effect: Choose one ally within 10 squares of you. The ally can spend a healing surge. Add your Charisma modifier to the hit points regained.
Does this attack not do any damage? Or because it's not listed it is automatically [W]?

And another thing, the amount of HP that are regained from the Ranger's Healing Surge is not listed. Is it a set number, or a result of your class?

NebtheNever

First Post
hennebeck said:
Does this attack not do any damage? Or because it's not listed it is automatically [W]?

That's not the complete entry for that attack. It does 4[w] + Cha modifier damage.

And another thing, the amount of HP that are regained from the Ranger's Healing Surge is not listed. Is it a set number, or a result of your class?

A healing surge is 1/4 your max HP no matter what.

Knight Otu

First Post
hennebeck said:
The transcript you've quoted is missing the Hit line.
Hit: 4[W] + Charisma modifier radiant damage.

hennebeck said:
If I recall correctly, a healing surge normally heals 1/4 your maximum hit points.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
SSquirrel said:
Aww c'mon! Spidey wearing a special Tony Stark designed spider suit so he can withstand the rigors of space, swing around on webs he has shot to the bottom of Imperial destroyers, shooting webs at TIE fighters so they can't see and crash...

Yeah this is way too easy for me ;)

EDIT:Oh yeah, don't forget the X-Men/Star Trek crossover.

This must mean that Mr. T. is the new Lady of Pain.

TvsCop.jpg

I pity the fool that tries to mess with portals!

Last edited:

Zil

Explorer
Irda Ranger said:
See, right there? You're making assumptions. Just because you aren't swayed by it does not mean that everyone else feels the same way. Different strokes for different blokes. Especially in a city with frickin' demons walking the streets and influencing people.
Huh? I always thought we were talking about priests talking to a crowd of folks in a city, so we're looking at civilized folks to start with. As for Sigil with demons and such, okay, so there are supernatural provocateurs present in that case so they might encourage some citizens to turn to the "Gruumsh" side. But even then, for the city to continue to exist as a functioning entity, it can't allow such disorderly and dangerous conduct to continue. There will be a reaction to suppress - and most people will support the eventual crackdown. There won't really be a lot of philosophical debate which is what I'm getting at. What discussion there is will be in terms of personal security and law and order. This isn't really going to lead to philosophical debate outside of issues of personal freedoms if the crackdown casts too wide a net.

Gruumsh's values are at odds with the values of any civilized society - unless they are turned towards some kind of hated or disliked group - outsiders or some distrusted minority. Now if the demons and Grumsh's clerics are smart, they'll urge the city to turn on minorities and outsiders. That doesn't make it right, but it will be easier for them to maintain their pogroms without tipping the balance so much that the majority starts to feel endangered in their homes. And then you might get more sustained philosophical debate as the city/state is forced to seriously wrestle with moral issues.

But fine, whatever. None of the Factions require the existence of any particular God or Pantheon anyway, so they can exist in 4E as easily as 3E. Just plot Sigil down sonewhere (or nowhere in particular) and say they're there.
No argument that any particular pantheon or pantheons are required, but you need to do more than what you stated for it to make any sense.

Zil

Explorer
hong said:
Heh.

Bahamut: we must invade _____ because its leader ______ is a dictator who tortures and oppresses his people.

Pelor: attacking without provocation means we will be the aggressor.

Erathis: but we have a duty to spread our ideals of justice and the rule of law.

Corellon: regardless, if we attack, we risk setting off an extended conflict which will lead to instability for years to come.

Bane: they started the fight, but we -- or I -- will finish it.
I was waiting for someone to put it in this context. ;) But yes, in this case you might have more serious debate because it's in a more realistic context. I don't know if you'll get serious metaphysical discussions going, but you will get debates centered around morality and international political economy.

Remove ads