• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Controller Class: The Invoker

The Invoker is a new class being previewed for the PHB2. It's a divine controller. Fluff-wise, they carry aspects of the gods in them and unleash them in combat.

D&D Invoker, Levels 1-3

I'm really glad to see the controller role get filled out more, and I definitely assumed that the Invoker would be arcane or elemental, not divine. But this is pretty cool. And it uses rods and staffs as implements. Not holy symbols. This means a diversification of rods and staffs to make them divine-appropriate.

If I were to criticize what I've seen so far, I'd point out that:

• a damn lot of the Invoker's powers deal radiant damage. too many?
  • I'm not entirely convinced that the Invoker will be immediately different from a Cleric.
  • the Invoker's rebuke undead looks fine to me (radiant damage, push, and daze) I'm sure people will complain that it doesn't adequately differentiate goody-goody Invokers of Pelor from emo-edgy Invokers of the Raven Queen or whatever. Or that they want undead-loving Invokers of evil gods like Vecna.

Remove ads