• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E new Critical Hits article about running DnD next

Grazzt

Demon Lord
This just blows my mind.
I have had PCs killed.
I once captured a PC inside a painting for MULTIPLE SESSIONS.

The players always stay engaged. There is still a cool story going on and they feel like they contribute.

(In fairness, for the multiple sessions in a painting thing I did let him run a "back up" support character.)

The point is that the game has the capacity to be so much more. And if having your character means you should go check e-mail then the game isn't the best it can be when the character was still involved.

I've done this as well (not exactly captured a PC in a painting, but have had a PC out for several sessions). Players were always engaged. Same for me when I was/am a player.

And if it was necessary, the whole party retreated to town, and waited it out. PCs found other things to do while their friend healed.

Hey all! :)

The whole 'required weeks of resting to heal' scenario would be very cool if it didn't stop you adventuring but rather added a condition that was permanent until you were properly healed or rested sufficiently.

- Amnesiac (Forget Powers)
- Cursed (Roll Twice and take the worst result)
- Disfigured (Social Skills Halved)
- Hobbled (Slowed)
- Insane (Random Actions)
- Sickened (Maximum Hit Points Halved)
- Weakened (Damage Halved)

Perhaps if you drop below 0 hit points, but are not killed, you suffer one of these semi-permanent conditions dependant upon the injury that reduced you below 0 hp.

Aehrlon

First Post
Part of orig post, RE: ability damage, the rate at which you recover them is in need of improvement. v3.5 you healed at a rate of 1 Ability point a day normally, twice that will full bed rest. Point being, how about healing a point every 4 hours?

Then the Jester wrote: "There are plenty of us to whom lack of "back to full by morning" is a feature, not a bug, and to whom "back to full by morning" is absolutely the most artificial-feeling element that D&D has ever incorporated. "
Agree with this
I was merely suggesting that it be shortened. 4E didn't have Ability Drain, 3.5 took way too long without clerical aid... I was suggesting a compromise between the 2 systems that didn't take forever. And if that's the most artificial feeling you're had regarding D&D, how do you fellas feel about a high LV fighter with 150+ HP who can take as much physical punishment as 6 bulls? It's a fantasy game & therefore ALL artificial, remember? The heroes might heal "a little faster" than your run of the mill LV 0 NPC butcher/baker/candlestick maker. Regardless, I'd take Ability Damage any day of the week over Level Drain; I hope that doesn't return to the game with all this "retro-ish" talk. Let it stay in 1E & 2E...

WotC_Trevor

First Post
I missed this last week but I wanted to chime in. Dave has it right - we didn't exclude people who work at Paizo or other publishers/game makers, but when employees of one game company are asked to sign an NDA for another game company, I'm sure things get wonky legally so we sometimes miss out on those opportunities.

Aehrlon

First Post
I missed this last week but I wanted to chime in. Dave has it right - we didn't exclude people who work at Paizo or other publishers/game makers, but when employees of one game company are asked to sign an NDA for another game company, I'm sure things get wonky legally so we sometimes miss out on those opportunities.
Well, I'm not a Paizo employee but I will gladly sign and abide by a NDA and lend my nearly 30 years of D&D knowledge & experience over 4 editions to the playtest.

Libramarian

Adventurer
IMO, its basically telling the paladin player, "Sorry, we're going to keep playing D&D and having fun. But you're screwed and can't play anymore. Sucks to be you. So, why don't you go off and check your e-mail or something." :(
I'm going to tell you something that will revolutionize your gaming.

Game time does not equal real time.

Aehrlon

First Post
Not sure what difference that makes; so someone chooses to reply to an older post, so what? It doesn't take experience on the forums to read the date of a post, you just read the date. Besides, Libramarian makes a good AND witty point.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads