D&D General New D&D Boardgame Coming

Spotted at London's Toy Fair by Dicebreaker.com was a new D&D boardgame. The box says “your quick start, quick play entry into the world of D&D”.

Spotted at London's Toy Fair by Dicebreaker.com was a new D&D boardgame. The box says “your quick start, quick play entry into the world of D&D”.

dungeons-and-dragons-board-game-adventurers-gate-box-non-final.jpeg

photos by dicebreaker.com

This was in the catalog (different name, same art but some is rearranged):

dungeons-and-dragons-board-game-adventure-begins-toy-fair-catalogue.jpg

JeffB

Legend
My 8-year-old's (he's now 34, by the way) first question, upon seeing the Hero Quest box cover artwork and having the different characters explained to him, was "Why is the Barbarian wearing furry underpants?"

Johnathan

Son, it gets COLLLDDDDDD in the deepest regions...

of the North where Barbarians hail from...

Retreater

Legend
I loved HQ. No other Dungeon Crawler has come close. Descent is probably the best I've played. The D&D Adventure Boardgames (of which I own all except ToA) are pretty awful - almost unplayable (I bought to cannibalize just for the models).
I have hopes for Altar Quest, which I Kickstarted, but I can't see anything topping HQ.
Silver Tower and Gloomhaven are both junk for accessible Dungeon Crawlers. (Silver Tower requires miniature assembly, collecting models, etc., while Gloomhaven is a nightmare to get on the table.)

In this case I would rather HQ25 was saved and published. I would buy it, and I don't mind who will be the next owner of the brand. The miniatures were showed in videos, and there is a great potential to become a classic, but the company has failed, and backers, years after, haven't received the product they paid for.

Mercador

Adventurer
Different art styles are great, especially if you are trying to appeal to different audiences. The main books all go through the same hands and are consistent (sometimes I think a little too much so), so it's great to see a little bit of variety in some of these other products.
Yeah, I agree but with this cover, it's all over the place.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Huh. They're really pushing the new player angle huh?
Only for like the last 10 years. Seriously. Encounters? 2010. Essentials? 2010. Cooperative D&D boardgame? 2010.

And, really, all the way back. 'Dungeon!' - 1975.

This'll be, like, cooperative D&D boardgame #8 or so.

New players are a good thing.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads