D&D General New D&D Boardgame Coming

Spotted at London's Toy Fair by Dicebreaker.com was a new D&D boardgame. The box says “your quick start, quick play entry into the world of D&D”.

Spotted at London's Toy Fair by Dicebreaker.com was a new D&D boardgame. The box says “your quick start, quick play entry into the world of D&D”.

dungeons-and-dragons-board-game-adventurers-gate-box-non-final.jpeg

photos by dicebreaker.com

This was in the catalog (different name, same art but some is rearranged):

dungeons-and-dragons-board-game-adventure-begins-toy-fair-catalogue.jpg

JeffB

Legend
Um, the compact cassette has been around since the 60s
My house did not see a cassette player until 1980 + We had 2 record players (our collection was half 33 1/3 and 78s) and 8 Tracks in the cars. My parents were not Boomers, but Greatest Generation, and never bought cassettes. The Atari was also hooked up to a B&W TV, and we had a Hammond Tube organ. Sorry to ruin the history lesson.

Tony Vargas

Legend
My house did not see a cassette player until 1980 + We had 2 record players (our collection was half 33 1/3 and 78s) and 8 Tracks in the cars. My parents were not Boomers, but Greatest Generation, and never bought cassettes. The Atari was also hooked up to a B&W TV, and we had a Hammond Tube organ. Sorry to ruin the history lesson.
You're not that unusual (when it comes to cassettes, anyway). Though anyone doing a quick google search of the tape cassette might note that it was developed in the 60s, it didn't achieve popularity as a medium for music or other pre-recorded applications until later. In the meantime, the LP and the bizarre-seeming 8-track ruled. ;)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I've been looking at that. Has anybody played it?

I have it. If you like Betrayal at House on the Hill (BAHOTH), I think you'll like Betrayal at Baldurs Gate (BABG). I like how BABG has a mix of outdoor, indoor, and dungeon locations. I played through two haunts and both were interesting and challenging.

BABG has a very different feel from BAHOTH, less spooky and more questy. But the BAHOTH mechanics works quite well in the wider environment and more diverse story lines of BABG.

BABG has a lot of fun Easter Eggs for D&D veterans. I know I'm probably missing many of them as I was never big into the Forgotten Realms, but it gave the right dose of nostalgia to this old gamer.

In short, I highly recommend BABG...BUT...if you don't have BAHOTH I would suggest you get that first. It is a classic and highly thematic game and a game that every board-game fan should have in his or her library. BABG is a fun variant but not a classic.

I am a little suspicious of any game that has to call itself "really fun" in an advertisement.

Also, I'm a bit worried by the phrases, "D&D world." Since when is D&D a world?

happyhermit

Adventurer
I am a little suspicious of any game that has to call itself "really fun" in an advertisement.

Also, I'm a bit worried by the phrases, "D&D world." Since when is D&D a world?

LOL, sorry if this sounds like poking fun but "suspicious" and "worried", really? It's a board game, no cause for alarm.

"World" has many meanings and can be perfectly correct here ie; The world of hobby boardgames.

SpellJammer16

Apprentice of the Seventh Circle of Mystery
I'll have to keep an eye on this for gaming with my 5 and 7 year old.

We played Dungeon. Now we play the old 3E era board game that requires a DM.

And we also play the Castle Ravenloft Adventure system game (now playing with extra campaign rules).
They just "rolled" 2 Dragonborn brothers lol... A fighter and mage.. I'll be a cleric following them around :)

However coming from ADD 1E both feel like something is missing to me...
Monsters don't drop treasure in that 3E game... you always have to find the chests... there is no Experience it's all milestone... I do like the initiative system and closed doors though when compared to the Castle Ravenloft's methods though!

The 3E game does have better cards I must say.... the Cards for the Ravenloft game barely have any artwork and I think the art helps when you have youngsters playing that may not be able to read everything... For example I'd like his fireball card to actually have a picture of a fireball on it....

One big difference between these 2 is at first they didn't want me being the DM in the 3E game... they wanted me in the party like in Castle Ravenloft so the games are very different in that way.

Not sure which way this one will go but hopefully this one brings me closer to what I'm looking for... at least until they get better at reading and start teaching me the rules :)

PS. I have collected older D&D board games too with the cardboard standees and bad miniatures and such lol... We still have to go through them some day... if there is one you recommend let me know!

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads