D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

the Jester

Legend
"We'll also note that the new Dungeons & Dragons movie seems to be much more willing to incorporate lore from the source material, which was a major reason the 2000 Dungeons & Dragons movie flopped among D&D fans."

I've never heard that cited as a reason by anyone I know, but I guess?

If by "lore" you mean "beholders are smarter than a dog", I have complained about it since the day that first movie dropped.

the Jester

Legend
Can someone please explain how Drows being villains could be politically incorrect? It's a fantasy race with no tie to the real world! Who will be offended and why?

Many would say that it's problematic to say, "All the dark skinned elves are eeevil! Only the light-skinned ones are good."

There's an element of perceived racism there- it's similar to how Lovecraft always described dark-skinned/swarthy people as basically subhuman savages. Now, sure, there are in-universe reasons for the Drow being how they are, but "the evil guys all turned black" isn't much better than "all the blacks are evil".

It really is a thing worth thinking about. It could definitely be argued that, whether or not it's racist in intent, it's racist in effect, and iI can see how it might be profoundly disturbing to real world dark skinned people to find the black race in D&D is inherently evil, sneaky, dishonorable, etc. That said, in 1e, dwarves were much darker skinned in their MM description than they were portrayed in most of the art and in most peoples' heads. Had they been drawn as they were described, it would have offered a counterpoint- "these dark-skinned guys are Lawful Good"- to the "dark skin = bad" thing that Drow imply.

1e Monster Manual said:
Description: Dwarves are typically deep tan to light brown of skin, with ruddy cheeks and bright eyes (almost never blue). Their hair is brown, black, or grey.

Mountain dwarves were described as "typically lighter with brown hair". But the standard dwarf pc was a hill dwarf.

the Jester

Legend
For noobs, all they need to know for the sake of the movie is that Tyr is God of Justice, Torm is God of Duty, and Ilmater is God of Mercy and suffering, and that they dwell in the Plane of Mount Celestia.

Why on earth is any of that relevant or necessary?

That Vecna is an evil lich who became a God on another world and whose eye is a powerful evil magic item that replaces the users eye.

Is there really any need to bring another world into it? I don't think so. I mean, I really hate how FR steals all the things from other settings, but in a movie, none of that matters. Just like you can't point at a back issue of Captain America and expect it to hold any water in the Marvel cinematic universe, I don't think it's fair to expect slavish devotion to the in-game canon in a D&D movie.

What a Dragonborn is. Don't dumb down to the point where you change the concept.

...yet another fantasy race? What's to dumb down?

I guess I just don't see the point in the above- it's fine to handwave it, I think. Keep it simple for the uninitiated. Make clear that this is a fantasy world with lots of races, and boom, you're pretty much good.

Just don't treat beholders like guard dogs that are exceptionally stupid again, and you're already beating the first D&D movie by a mile.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For noobs, all they need to know for the sake of the movie is that Tyr is God of Justice, Torm is God of Duty, and Ilmater is God of Mercy and suffering, and that they dwell in the Plane of Mount Celestia.

That Vecna is an evil lich who became a God on another world and whose eye is a powerful evil magic item that replaces the users eye.

What a Dragonborn is. Don't dumb down to the point where you change the concept.

What the leader of the order of knights is, a shape shifting good dragon.

And who and what the characters are. That should be too hard to weave that in the plot.

The magic flaming sword is pretty self explanatory.

Anyways does anyone else think the mask warrior knight Lady might be a Scourge Aasimar?

I mean she is either horribly scarred, which I doubt is the case, or an outlaw which does not fit with a knight order like this, or what fits an order like this like a glove, a Scourge Aasimar many of whom like to wear masks.

I’d probably not even bother explaining Mount Celestia, honestly. Why bother?

gyor

Legend

Is there really any need to bring another world into it? I don't think so. I mean, I really hate how FR steals all the things from other settings, but in a movie, none of that matters. Just like you can't point at a back issue of Captain America and expect it to hold any water in the Marvel cinematic universe, I don't think it's fair to expect slavish devotion to the in-game canon in a D&D movie.

I guess I just don't see the point in the above- it's fine to handwave it, I think. Keep it simple for the uninitiated. Make clear that this is a fantasy world with lots of races, and boom, you're pretty much good.

Just don't treat beholders like guard dogs that are exceptionally stupid again, and you're already beating the first D&D movie by a mile.

The Forgotten Realms isn't Marvel.

And at least who Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater at least on a basic are matters to who the Knight are. Why put something in a setting and just completely ignore the basic details that are connect to your plotline?

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
The Forgotten Realms isn't Marvel.

And at least who Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater at least on a basic are matters to who the Knight are. Why put something in a setting and just completely ignore the basic details that are connect to your plotline?
The Forgotten Realms has even less of an established canon than Marvel, as much as it pains me to admit it.

That's the point, I believe.

gyor

Legend

It's not fine to just hand wave basic setting stuff, if they do that it will end up the most generic, soulless, D&D movie yet, Settings matter, just because someone is uninitiated doesn't mean they are too stupid to understand basic concepts like God of Duty, God of Justice, and God of Mercy, or what a Dragonborn is (a Dragon like humaniod). This movie isn't being marketed to 3 year olds.

Remove ads