WotC New D&D Stream Replaces Dice, Camera, Action!

The official D&D streaming campaign Dice, Camera, Action!, run by WotC's Chris Perkins, ended somewhat ignominiously earlier this year. WotC has just announced its replacement -- "DnDPresents", featuring some of the same cast.

The official D&D streaming campaign Dice, Camera, Action!, run by WotC's Chris Perkins, ended somewhat ignominiously earlier this year. WotC has just announced its replacement -- "DnDPresents", featuring some of the same cast.

EK5qOcnUEAA3TOh.png

According to the official Twitter account Chris Perkins returns as DM for a new show, DnD Presents, featuring. Anna Prosser, Nathan Sharp, Mica Burton, and ShadyPenguinn. More information will be revealed at PAX Unplugged next week.

WotC confirmed "We are excited for you to experience the new show, but that means [Dice, Camera, Action!] will not be returning. We congratulate the cast on 141 episodes of wonderful storytelling."

Chris Perkins added "I will have thoughts to share about DCA at some point, but for now I’ll just say how much I love the whole DCA cast, in particular Anna Prosser, Nathan Sharp, Jared Knabenbauer, and Holly Conrad. We are a family, and their happiness matters to me."

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Oh man, I just found a great stream: Perception Check

I'm laughing so hard. It isn't serious and it's often blue, so fair warning. But it's great.

just checking it out from the link, thanks for sharing. Never heard of it but are the muppets always on for the game? Funny so far. The muppet far left looks like the guy from Space Ghost.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
just checking it out from the link, thanks for sharing. Never heard of it but are the muppets always on for the game? Funny so far. The muppet far left looks like the guy from Space Ghost.

I don't know anything about the show. I sure do hope the muppets are always there. I switched it on while I did some prep for my game and I've done zero prep. Dammit.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Good to see them back. They had no real choice but to do a reboot and recast.

Streaming doesn’t do for me, alas. D&D is not a very good spectator event IMO, and is far less enjoyable than participation. People who only watch streams don’t know what they are missing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I check out Twitch when I'm engaged in other tasks and just pick one of the live games that have some viewers. I've also watched the AI streams (the old 4e ones were better than current in my opinion). I've listened to some of the bigger podcasts and watched some of the bigger streamers. I also observe/listen to live games being played on a Discord I'm in.

Over the years, one starts to see a lot of commonalities like I've described. So much shopping. So much posturing in taverns. So many interviews of quirky, cagey NPCs. So little actual adventuring. I'm actually surprised that others are seeing what I'm seeing. I worried I was being too picky.
Yeah if you’re picking up streams that way, you’re gonna get more misses than hits.

But I can’t think of any of the bigger shows that match what you’re saying. Maybe you just caught certain episodes that were of a Style you don’t like, in a show that generally isn’t like that?
Good to see them back. They had no real choice but to do a reboot and recast.

Streaming doesn’t do for me, alas. D&D is not a very good spectator event IMO, and is far less enjoyable than participation. People who only watch streams don’t know what they are missing.
Like I said in the other streaming show thread, watching these shows is watching a show, not watching a spectator event like sports of even live play streams or video games.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't know anything about the show. I sure do hope the muppets are always there. I switched it on while I did some prep for my game and I've done zero prep. Dammit.
I had never heard of it before, but I gather that it’s put on by Perception Studio, who among other things, make puppets. So, yes, the puppets are always there. I’m definitely going to have to check this out too.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yeah if you’re picking up streams that way, you’re gonna get more misses than hits.

But I can’t think of any of the bigger shows that match what you’re saying. Maybe you just caught certain episodes that were of a Style you don’t like, in a show that generally isn’t like that?

Like I said in the other streaming show thread, watching these shows is watching a show, not watching a spectator event like sports of even live play streams or video games.

Most fall short as both a good show and game for me. The issues tend to revolve around pacing and too many scenes with no stakes. It's possible I'm just very unlucky, but given the amount of streams (and other games) I've watched or listened to including the big ones, I'd have to be coming up snake eyes with a frequency that defies the laws of nature. But it's interesting to watch and discuss them with other DMs so there's that.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

I think you and @iserith have very different expectations about the pacing of a typical game. What may seem like a perfectly reasonable pace to you may seem very slow to them. What may seem normal to them may seem grueling to you.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Most fall short as both a good show and game for me. The issues tend to revolve around pacing and too many scenes with no stakes. It's possible I'm just very unlucky, but given the amount of streams (and other games) I've watched or listened to including the big ones, I'd have to be coming up snake eyes with a frequency that defies the laws of nature. But it's interesting to watch and discuss them with other DMs so there's that.
Fair enough. It seems like maybe your tolerance for the frequency of downtime scenes is just much lower than the average viewer of these shows. Especially if you’ve watched/listened to more than 1 or 2 episodes of Critical Role, The Adventure Zone, AI, C Team, etc.

I’d call low stake (much less no stakes) scenes in those shows very much the minority of air time.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I listen to CR. I tend to play it at 1.25x speed, and in two parts over two days. If character moments don't do it for you, I can see why you might not like CR.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads