D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey! On classes.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
You've clearly never seen a bard played well.

This is a statement similar to, "You have never seen an amazing jazz-flute led hard core gangta rap band," or "You have yet to experience the sumptuous dining pleasures of powdered sugar and rock candy on a Hershey's chocolate bar," or, "You might not like the kazoo, but that is only because you have yet to hear 500 elementary school kids playing them at the same time!"

You are correct. I have never seen a bard played well, which is a tribute, of some kind, to the bard. There are only two ways to dislike D&D; one is to dislike it, the other is to play a bard.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Bleh. I told them they need to eliminate every class except bard.

Bard fighters
Bard rogues
Bard clerics
Bard wizards
Bard monks
Etc.

Truly, they must be jack of all trades!
Please, call them by their new names:

Bard fighters -> Barfs or Barters
Bard rogues -> Bargues
Bard clerics -> Barcles
Bard wizards -> Bawizas
Bard monks -> Badonks

Al in the new adventure: Tavern on the Barderland, against the evil Barcle Bargues!

Eric V

Hero
Never said I was or wanted it treated as a miniature board game. I dont. They can write all the narrative they want. Id just like to be able to not have to read through it every time Im looking up a spell or a class ability. Perhaps I didnt articulate myself correctly. If they added a mechanic block above the narrative text I'd be cool with that. Reformatting the way things are presented would be preferable to me. I think the PHB isnt presented in a way that makes things very accessible at the game table was my point. Sorry if I wasnt more clear.
You were perfectly clear.

Faolyn

(she/her)
This is a statement similar to, "You have never seen an amazing jazz-flute led hard core gangta rap band,"
Jazz rap is a thing, actually. Haven't actually listened to any myself, but I'd guess there were, in fact, some amazing jazz-flute led rap songs.

or "You have yet to experience the sumptuous dining pleasures of powdered sugar and rock candy on a Hershey's chocolate bar," or, "You might not like the kazoo, but that is only because you have yet to hear 500 elementary school kids playing them at the same time!"
I imagine the parents of those kids might very well love it.

You are correct. I have never seen a bard played well, which is a tribute, of some kind, to the bard. There are only two ways to dislike D&D; one is to dislike it, the other is to play a bard.
Sigh. I get it, you're trying to be funny. But it's like 90% of your jokes are "bards and elves suck!" Which not only makes it quite stale, but when combined with this sort of gatekeeping/"your fun is wrong!" statement... well, yeah. I don't find it funny. You're not required to care about me not finding it funny, of course, but hey, there you go.

It's especially weird because when I look at your avatar, it just screams "mad elf bard" to me. Like whoever that is in the avatar is one sip away from breaking into song.

My beef with bard is that I simply don't have a name for an iconic "bard" in my fantasy. I can name a went-once-to-church paladin. I can name a wizard. I can even name an iconic artificer (though I must admit that Gilgamesh Wulfenbach or Agatha Heterodyne lack the classic feel of Roland, Merlin or even Cugel, they entered by mental space). Not a single bard. Unless you're willing to count Iluvatar, but that's a stretch.

That, and I recently heard someone actually say the word barlock out loud. I kind of lamented my lack of smiting ability.

My beef with bard is that I simply don't have a name for an iconic "bard" in my fantasy. I can name a went-once-to-church paladin. I can name a wizard. I can even name an iconic artificer (though I must admit that Gilgamesh Wulfenbach or Agatha Heterodyne lack the classic feel of Roland, Merlin or even Cugel, they entered by mental space). Not a single bard. Unless you're willing to count Iluvatar, but that's a stretch.

That, and I recently heard someone actually say the word barlock out loud. I kind of lamented my lack of smiting ability.

I mean if you're going to the Silmarillion for examples with Ilúvatar, you do have a more down-to-(Middle)-Earth example with Maglor.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It's especially weird because when I look at your avatar, it just screams "mad elf bard" to me. Like whoever that is in the avatar is one sip away from breaking into song.

tumblr_ou21akBoeB1vlcklto1_640.gif

Remove ads