D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey! On classes.

R_J_K75

Legend
I had to update my Tempest Cleric to 5th Level today for our game tonight and I was thinking (and getting frustrated) that it seemed as though I had to read through walls of text for class abilities just to get to the the stuff that matters. Too much flavor text I guess is my point. If they truly are considering a 5.5E I'd hope they condense the text and make it easier to read class ability and spell descriptions at at glance. For example adding spell area, damage/type in the spell header along with range. duration etc would help alot. For the life of me I cant comprehend why they didnt put what classes can cast the spell in its description is beyond me.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I had to update my Tempest Cleric to 5th Level today for our game tonight and I was thinking (and getting frustrated) that it seemed as though I had to read through walls of text for class abilities just to get to the the stuff that matters. Too much flavor text I guess is my point. If they truly are considering a 5.5E I'd hope they condense the text and make it easier to read class ability and spell descriptions at at glance. For example adding spell area, damage/type in the spell header along with range. duration etc would help alot. For the life of me I cant comprehend why they didnt put what classes can cast the spell in its description is beyond me.
Because treating D&D as merely a miniatures board game was tried in the PHB of 4E and people came to realize they didn't like it treated that way.

Narrative matters.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Because treating D&D as merely a miniatures board game was tried in the PHB of 4E and people came to realize they didn't like it treated that way.

Narrative matters.
It's a fairly big split in the player base. There's a lot of people who play it like a miniatures wargame...and a lot of people who play it like immersive improv theater. There's a little overlap. But WotC has to design with both halves of the fan base in mind. Not a great position to be in. They could always go back to Basic and Advanced. Basic for the lighter rules / improv crowd; Advanced for the heavier rules / wargame crowd.

Ugh. That means I'm going to have to roll up a bard real quick and get him killed ...

Just so I can go in depth on how much Bards suck.

I can DM for you.

You start in a tavern. A 20th level lunatic sorcerer hidden, invisible and having cast non-detection wish for an Empowered Meteor Swarm. The sheer number of dice ensure you're dead, irrespective of your save. I hope you didn't spend too much time on backstory.

R_J_K75

Legend

Narrative matters.
Never said I was or wanted it treated as a miniature board game. I dont. They can write all the narrative they want. Id just like to be able to not have to read through it every time Im looking up a spell or a class ability. Perhaps I didnt articulate myself correctly. If they added a mechanic block above the narrative text I'd be cool with that. Reformatting the way things are presented would be preferable to me. I think the PHB isnt presented in a way that makes things very accessible at the game table was my point. Sorry if I wasnt more clear.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
My thoughts exactly.

I got to express my Very Important Thoughts on rangers and clerics! :ROFLMAO:
clerics are fine, on ranger we are like of one mind.
personally, I put a lot into monk which is madly one of my favourite classes along with a mystic which did not suck.
formatting would be nice, I love the lore but I want to be able to build it and get it working fast and easy.
I know. Bards take so long to create, and with such little result. They are empty spaces disguised as etchings on a character sheet.
I am still trying to figure out what archetype bards even come from.
Never said I was or wanted it treated as a miniature board game. I dont. They can write all the narrative they want. Id just like to be able to not have to read through it every time Im looking up a spell or a class ability. Perhaps I didnt articulate myself correctly. If they added a mechanic block above the narrative text I'd be cool with that. Reformatting the way things are presented would be preferable to me. I think the PHB isnt presented in a way that makes things very accessible at the game table was my point. Sorry if I wasnt more clear.
so the book has a UI problem man the 2020's are so less cool than I was promised.

Remove ads