D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey! On classes.

Any new about future new classes after the artificier and the mystic/psion? for example the shaman and the warlord.

It is curious because I thought the bard was the little ugly duckling of the core class and now it is very popular, at least in the D&D memes thanks its potential for the humor.

Greg K

Legend
Just finished the survey. The questions that I received were optional feedback on the classes. My comments were, primarily, classes variants, variant abilities, and new subclasses that I wanted to see. Plus, I discussed changes that I want to see to the cleric and monk which are my two least favorite classes in terms of design.

Greg K

Legend
Back in 1984, I got a Time-life book called "Wizards & Witches". A large chapter of the book covered Taliesin, a Welsh bard. That book forever shaped how I saw and wanted my bards to be. Taliesin was depicted as a wise scholar and suble wizard, who could spin his magic via song. He was not a rockstar like so many people try and portray bards.

In fact, that series [The Enchanted World] also left me enamored with fighters with it's rendition of Cuchulain).
Yeah, Taliesin. Also, Merlin in many tales such as the Mists of Avalon. The Bard fits many spellcasters prior to the introduction of D&D magic.

Greg K

Legend
Taliesin was depicted as a wise scholar and suble wizard, who could spin his magic via song. He was not a rockstar like so many people try and portray bards.
In D&D, when I run most campaigns, I am pretty clear that Bards are like both Taliesin and Merlin (in many tales) rather than jack of all trades. In 5e, my plan is to rename Jack of all Trades and limit it to specific skill proficiencies and musical instruments. i also plan to slightly change the weapon proficiencies

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Any new about future new classes after the artificier and the mystic/psion? for example the shaman and the warlord.

It is curious because I thought the bard was the little ugly duckling of the core class and now it is very popular, at least in the D&D memes thanks its potential for the humor.
memes are how cultures are built, so clearly, people at least would miss them.
Back in 1984, I got a Time-life book called "Wizards & Witches". A large chapter of the book covered Taliesin, a Welsh bard. That book forever shaped how I saw and wanted my bards to be. Taliesin was depicted as a wise scholar and suble wizard, who could spin his magic via song. He was not a rockstar like so many people try and portray bards.

In fact, that series [The Enchanted World] also left me enamored with fighters with it's rendition of Cuchulain).
I thought cuchulain was a barbarian by dnd standards or am I mixing people up?
Yeah, Taliesin. Also, Merlin in many tales such as the Mists of Avalon. The Bard fits many spellcasters prior to the introduction of D&D magic.
I get the feeling that mostly applies to European casters as other places have less song magic.

TheSword

Legend
It's a fairly big split in the player base. There's a lot of people who play it like a miniatures wargame...and a lot of people who play it like immersive improv theater. There's a little overlap. But WotC has to design with both halves of the fan base in mind. Not a great position to be in. They could always go back to Basic and Advanced. Basic for the lighter rules / improv crowd; Advanced for the heavier rules / wargame crowd.
There is a lot of overlap. Particularly given the rise of VTT.

Remove ads