• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Design and Development: Pantheon

FireLance

Legend
Bahamut: Here's another example of a familiar, draconic face showing up in a somewhat new light. Maybe it was the Platinum Knight prestige class in Draconomicon that did it, but something convinced me a long time ago that Bahamut was a much cooler god of paladins than Heironeous ever was. Like Corellon, Bahamut's not just for dragons any more. He's the god of justice, protection, and honor, and many paladins of all races worship him.
Okay, the elf/eladrin fighting the death knight is most likely a paladin of Bahamut.

Roman

First Post
I like what I am hearing on this one and I mean everything I am reading in this article. Ultimately, I will most likely end up creating and using my own gods, as I usually do, but it still sounds nice. :)

Matthew L. Martin said:
Anyone want to bet that they were in this phase of design when they talked about use of elements like Thor back at GenCon, and later on decided to trim things back to a unified 'core' pantheon?

Sounds likely. I noticed there weren't any real world gods in the article.

The thing didn't I notice was any goddesses. Are they all bachelors gay, or are there some women around?

(Idea: there's only one goddess. All the men "compete for her favours". ie, they're her harem. I don't think Wizards will go that way though...))

Kunimatyu

First Post
It's alright, but I'd prefer getting some more mythological guys -- Thor instead of Kord, Oberon instead of Corellon, Set for yuan-ti/nagas, etc, etc.

Bahamut I do like, though he's a mythological figure as well (albeit one significantly changed from his original Arabic roots).

Gloombunny

First Post
There was a time when the team working on "the world" of D&D thought we could get away with creating general rules useful to clerics regardless of which pantheon existed in the campaign, and then presenting a variety of fictional and historical pantheons for DMs to adopt or adapt as they saw fit. I believe it was Stacy Longstreet, the senior D&D art director, who pointed out that this solution would leave us in a bit of a bind.
I really hope this doesn't mean that specific gods are hard-coded into the rules somehow.

Zamkaizer

First Post
I'm probably going to create my own pantheon, so it doesn't particularly matter, but whenever I will say the word 'Bane,' I will do it with a raspy accent, as though I'd been a smoker all my life. If you want to try it yourself, say 'Bane' while pretending you're Solid Snake or Wolverine.

Remathilis

Legend
Gloombunny said:
I really hope this doesn't mean that specific gods are hard-coded into the rules somehow.

Nah, I think the art department didn't want "Insert Symbol Here" blocks on their paladin's chests....

Remove ads